Thread: Windows won't have numbers anymore

Thanks

Windows won't have numbers anymore

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windo...r-457865.shtml

So from next year it's just Windows ... except when it's not. I think they're a bit silly not differentiating the RT version more ... call it Panes FFS. (or Pains more like )

But then again ... see the worry in my eye ... have been on Linux for 5 years now (except for XP/W7 inside a VM for those "stupid" software which can't work on anything else) and can't be happier! Just thought for the rest of you guys you might what to know that 7/8/9 is immaterial from now on - it's "Windows all the way baby ... oh yeah!"
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Suspended
    Thanks
    I am afraid that Windows 8 chased me away, as I'm sure a lot of other people. Now that I am an Apple nut from the phone to the Pro - I can really say that the Mac operating system is absolutely outstanding. Windows has a long way to go to be anywhere near there Apple OS.

Thanks
    i dont care what they say
    im still running XP

and i dont plan on changing.

its been working well so far
    and as the saying goes, if it aint broke, dont try to fix it....
    A “conspiracy theory” no longer means an event explained by a conspiracy. Instead, it now means any explanation, or even a fact, that is out of step with the government’s explanation and that of its media pimps.

Thanks
    Exactly! MS basically shot themselves in the foot ... twice in the past decade, 4 times if you count into the 90s.

95 was a disaster, then the ME fiasco, then their (arguably) worst one was Vista, and recently (IMO the last nail in the coffin - though Vista was it for me, together with the ribbonization of everything) is the "Modern" GUI in W8.

I've tried out OSX myself, like some of it (especially that its core is based on BSD and thus Unix), but I like Linux Gnome 3/KDE better (probably just my subjective feeling though - KDE's my first choice due to its capabilities rather than its "looks"). Even the new Gnome 4 and Ubuntu's Unity feels "alight" to me (though a bit over the top on eye-candy), very reminiscent of OSX's Aqua. These days for my old PCs I tend to go with the minimalist desktops like LXDE or Xfce, but on my "workstation" I use KDE.

I've tried "everything" to be rid of the plague which has become Windows, but due to some programs I use on an hourly basis I simply cannot get rid of it entirely.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Windows 8 isn't that bad...I think the users are mildy retarded because they had a complete meltdown when MS removed the start menu.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basment Dweller View Post
    Windows 8 isn't that bad...I think the users are mildy retarded because they had a complete meltdown when MS removed the start menu.
    Sort of yes.

But there's actual functionality which is now broken. To the point where we've tested it in the office and simply cannot make use of it at all - most of our required programs crash constantly, the network connection's completely unreliable, etc. Whereas that very same programs work perfectly fine on W7 and the network's perfect also. And it's not as if those programs aren't "meant" for W8, they're the absolute latest versions "officially" meant for W8/W8.1 (they should actually perform "better" than on W7).

E.g. "touch" the Properties button of the print dialog in Revit 2015 in W8.1 and it crashes immediately. Do the same on W7 - no problem. And this is a program requiring DotNet 4.5.1 (the absolute latest version MS specifically updated for W8.1).

For all the new machines (with that pre-installed W8) we try it for about a week until the user shows smoke from their ears (not due to "where is this and where is that UI problems") and then simply replace it with W7. We've actually had users ask to re-install W8 since they've "got used" to it at their home PCs, but then after a while they request a change back again - because they can't actually do their work.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Windows 8 does have a nice new blue screen of death...there is that.

Thanks
    Some more weirdness to come? http://www.winbeta.org/news/new-job-...future-windows

So reading between those lines it looks like they're looking for someone who can turn Windows into some sort of on-line-"cloud"-based "non-operating" system. Sounds like they're trying to re-invent a ChromeBook to me.

Thanks
    It's getting more surreal: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/68...unced-official

So this is how Microsoft Counts:
    1. 1.0
    2. 2.0
    3. 3.0
    4. 3.1
    5. 3.5
    6. 95
    7. 4.0
    8. 98
    9. 2000
    10. ME
    11. XP
    12. 2003
    13. XP x64
    14. 2003 r2
    15. Home Server
    16. Vista
    17. 2008
    18. 7
    19. 2008 r2
    20. 2011
    21. 8
    22. 2012
    23. 8.1
    24. 10

I know it was convoluted, but do they even know which one is which?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a good idea that they can use as a new numbering system:

MS Crap UI & Networking.
    MS Removed Crap UI with Crap networking and various other stuff that got broken when we removed the Crap UI.
    MS Resolved Crap networking and forgot about security.
    MS Patched version to repair most of the Crap.
    MS Bright idea that confuses everybody and nobody buys it.
    ...and so on....