Thread: Tax benefits as a business

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Tax benefits as a business

Can anyone tell me what the advantages are of opening a sole prop bank account as apposed to an account in your personal name and just using it as a business account...ie Elite account for R100 per month.

I am told that the reason i should open an account as a business and not in my personal capacity is because i will pay more tax.

As a sole prop i am my business and everything to do with my business falls back on me personally at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Using the an account with the business name is better for large corporates to make payments, they may question the payment if it is in a persons name.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Whether your bank account is opened as Mr. A. Smith or as Mr. A. Smith trading as ABC Business, your tax rates remain the same.

A sole prop and an individual gets exactly the same tax rates, so I do not see how the name on your bank account or the type of account can influence your tax position.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The prob is personal income gets expensive when your income goes north of R600k/year which is why its better to register a company and declare income as dividends and expose to a different tax bracket. All depends on the amount of money you are making and the sources of income.

The bank accounts will just help you separate different sources of income and expenses and help organise your book keeping.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I am told that the reason i should open an account as a business and not in my personal capacity is because i will pay more tax.
    Depends what they meant by "business". If they meant a company, then there are some advantages, but paying less tax isn't usually one of them. If they meant a sole prop type of business, then you are right. Sole prop = you, so I don't see how that reduces your tax load either.

I'd be interested to know how the person who told you this, came to their conclusion.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Bank employee, a business banker at one of the banks.

All i see are fees and more fees as "business" as an individual personal account less fees.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.