Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect of 2010 World Cup on South African Economy

Email problem
    Thanks

Effect of 2010 World Cup on South African Economy

Hello,

I am a year 9 high school student from Australia and am researching about the impact the 2010 World Cup had on the South African economy. I just wanted to know your thoughts on the issue and if you felt you were affected during this time.

Thanks
    I could write a best seller on the so called pro's and con's of SWC 2010...but i am VERY scared i'll go to jail for....freedom of speech......i would say try the dept of trade and industry...sorry mate !

3. Thanks given for this post:

tilmann99 (01-Sep-14)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    We now have stadiums that nobody uses....

5. Thanks given for this post:

tilmann99 (01-Sep-14)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basment Dweller View Post

No this is not totally correct. A lot of people feel that the stadiums are under unitised but they are being used. It is not that they are not being used.
    Personally I feel the world cup was a great success, for our economy and for the country in many instances, the stadiums are magnificent and are being used more for concerts than anything else at the mo.

7. Thanks given for this post:

tilmann99 (01-Sep-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basment Dweller View Post
    Not entirely true... we do use them for political rallies where they sing "kill the boer" (kill the white man). So it was not a total waste
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

9. Thanks given for this post:

tilmann99 (01-Sep-14)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thank-You very much for all of your replies, I am interested to hear more of your thoughts! Feel free to reply.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ok then - the building of the stadium helped to force the local government to upgrade the transport system around Cape Town. They now have an amazing Citi bus system combined with the local train system that has been around for a long time. The taxi service industry has also had a boost, but these are also because of normal tourism in Cape Town. CT is one of the top 10 places in the world to now visit. The residents of CT are not really happy with the new stadium because it is not utilised enough - there was hope at one point that the local rugby side (Stomers) would move to the stadium, but they are happy where they are at Newlands. Some people are also unhappy that the stadium was not built with an athletics track so that it would also have more uses. The upkeep of the stadium is enormous which obviously puts a lot of pressure on the taxpayers of Cape Town. The whole organisation around the stadium when there is a game on is very well run - the traffic is well controlled and crowd control seems to be pretty good - in fact I have driven past on a number of occasions when there is something on and there is no traffic at all - the public transport is fantastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to Durban's stadium, I share much the same sentiments as HR Solutions - when it comes to the stadium itself and the infrastructure around it.

Jeremy Clarkson (of Top Gear fame) rates it as one of the most beautiful stadiums in the world - and he may be right. It certainly is a regular feature in Neville Bailey's Pic of the Day.

It's also worth bearing in mind the 2010 World Cup was the tipping point that saw the development of the King Shaka International Airport - a project that had been put off for decades already and was sorely overdue. There were also substantial upgrades at other major airports around the country, and there's little doubt the benefits of that is still being felt today.

In terms of economic impact, I think the construction on the various projects associated with the 2010 World Cup kept our economy going quite well just as the rest of the world was feeling the effects of the USA sub-prime crisis. And of course there was forex earnings during the World Cup itself.

There was also something pretty special about the general public sentiment at the time. The day of the opening match in particular had something of that 1994 Rainbow Nation feeling... something that had been sorely lacking for quite a few years.

Probably the only real hangover that has left a bitter taste on everyone's tongue was the Gauteng Urban Freeway Upgrade project. Nothing wrong with the project itself - the freeway improvements have been great, and sorely needed. But it's the connection to the introduction of Urban eTolling that remains a source of current controversy.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I must say the location of that new stadium in NASREC has brought the whites to the black neighbourhoods and we learnt it was no big deal. I remember walking through the streets of SOWETO, drinking in shabeens with the blacks like we're all brothers, I really enjoyed that about the WC.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thank-you so much for the great replies! Did you find that tourism had a large effect on these changes, if so, how?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast