Thread: Installing new electrical outlets in my home

Email problem
    Thanks

Installing new electrical outlets in my home

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I need some advice on installing new electrical outlets in my home.

I recently bought a "new" house, an old Victorian style. It has wood floors, and each room has only one electrical outlet(plugs), thus I need to add more.

Now I have the following question for the guys who know more about house wiring regulations.

1) What is the minimum height the outlets can be from floor level?

2) Does the regulation allow electrical wires to be run behind/inside skirting (I don't think so but just making sure) ?

3) or Can I run the electrical cables underneath the wood floor, from one point to the next in some trunking (just not sure which type of trunking) , as having wooden floors, I am able crawl underneath the house.

4) or Can I use ready made electrical extension cord and run along the side of the skirting, and use the one side of the extension, to plug into an existing socket in the room, and then other side of the extension, I strip off the plug and then wire and connect into a new outlet that's mounted on the outside of the skirting. Would this be seen as an external extension and not an installation but still has earth leakage protection.

Thanks
    Jules

Thanks
    I do not know the rules, but you may want to consider to feed them from the attic/loft which is often easier to access and then chase them into the wall.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Email problem
    Thanks
    theres no minimum height restriction. rather use 2,5mm surfix or twin+earth than extention leads. you could use trunking or pvc pipe under the floor boards.
    you can run the cables behind the skirting boards but not single core cables only surfix etc

Thanks
    Whilst there's no specified minimum height the sockets should be high enough to all the floor to be mopped without them getting wet.

You don't need trunking uder the floor if you're using cable, you can just clip it direct to the joists etc.

Quote Originally Posted by julies View Post
    4) or Can I use ready made electrical extension cord and run along the side of the skirting, and use the one side of the extension, to plug into an existing socket in the room, and then other side of the extension, I strip off the plug and then wire and connect into a new outlet that's mounted on the outside of the skirting. Would this be seen as an external extension and not an installation but still has earth leakage protection.
    Kinda a grey area, extension chords should not really secured and never ever fit a plug on both ends to supply a socket, always wire into the back of the socket.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by julies View Post
    Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I need some advice on installing new electrical outlets in my home.

I recently bought a "new" house, an old Victorian style. It has wood floors, and each room has only one electrical outlet(plugs), thus I need to add more.

Now I have the following question for the guys who know more about house wiring regulations.

2) Does the regulation allow electrical wires to be run behind/inside skirting (I don't think so but just making sure) ?

3) or Can I run the electrical cables underneath the wood floor, from one point to the next in some trunking (just not sure which type of trunking) , as having wooden floors, I am able crawl underneath the house.

Thanks
    Jules
    Jules, I have to start this reply by informing you that by attempting to interfere with the integrity of your electrical system you are not only flouting the law which can be punishable by a jail term, but you are also putting the lives of yourself and anyone else who comes into contact with that electrical installation, in danger. Not to mention the repercussions that will be heaped upon you by your insurance company should the inevitable happen and your home burns to the ground.

The Electrical Regulations are very clear about this and I quote
    "6. (1) No person may do electrical installation work as an electrical contractor unless that person has been registered as an electrical contractor in terms of these Regulations"

and

"15. Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with any of the provisions of regulations 3(3), 4, 5,6(1), 7, 8, 9, 11 (4) and 11 (5) shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a maximum period of 12 months and, in the case of a continuous offence, to an additional fine of R200,OO for each day on which the offence continues or to additional imprisonment of one day for each day on which the offence continues: Provided that the period of such additional imprisonment shall not exceed 90 days."

Having said that the questions are interesting and I would like to answer the for the benefit of qualified personnel only.

There is no minimum height, but care must be taken when sockets are likely to be exposed to water from washing the floor, that the integrity of the insulation of the socket outlet, is not compromised.

You may not run unprotected wires behind the skirting. Cables may be run behind the skirting.

Cables may be run underneath the floor, in conduits or not, as well as GP wiring in conduits. Such cables must be fixed in place so as to prevent sagging or strain on the connections.

If you purchase a pre-wired extension cord which is no longer that 3 meters and it remains portable, then it is not part of your electrical installation. A socket outlet mounted upon the wall is part of your electrical installation and must be installed according to the electrical installation rules and regulations.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply's everyone.

@Leecatt.... I do understand that not just anyone is allowed to do an electrical installation. My questions are to better familiarize myself with what can and cannot be done with regards to an installation, I wont necessary be doing it myself, but I just wont to be more informed when talking to an electrical contractor. I don't just want to pay for something that may be overkill, hence I am doing some research first and asking for opinions.

On your answer to point number 4, what would be the difference between running a extension cord to a socket outlet mounted upon the wall and running an extention cable to a multiplug mounted to the wall. Both would be mounted on the surface of the wall. Would the multiplug then also need to be installed according to the electrical installation rules and regulations ?

Thanks

Silver Member
    Thanks
    A multiplug cannot be used as part of the installation as it is not SABS compliant.