Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rules for SMS spam come into force

Thanks

New rules for SMS spam come into force

New regulations have come into force that will make it compulsory for companies that send SMSes within SA to give consumers an easy opt-out, reports the Daily News. The regulations have been introduced by industry regulator the Wireless Applications Service Provider Association (Waspa). The association’s Code of Conduct states that consumers can only receive commercial SMS messages when they have requested the message or they have 'a direct and recent prior commercial relationship with the message originator, and would reasonably expect to receive marketing communications from them'. All consumers need to be removed from future communications, is to respond to the SMS with the word 'Stop'. Waspa stipulates that the reply 'STOP' procedure must be included at the start of any messaging service.

Legalbrief 08-08-2007

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hell yeah!!! Bears sending me SMS's at 2am about some crappy new lounge suite is about to become a no-no....

This is becoming a huge issue...

Thanks
    Is there any limitation on the price that will be charged for the STOP sms?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    No idea it they will put a price limit on the SMS to stop the spam. I would be seriously pissed off if they even bill be for it as all of these SMS's are sent to me without my permission.

I agree with Riaan on the Bears issue. I have NEVER had an account with them or even went into one of their shops, so where did they get my details?

Thanks
    What I would like to see is an option somewhere, where for every SMS after you've replied with STOP, you get to charge them R50 for reading the SMS...

In all fairness, the STOP sms shouldn't cost you a dime. The big question however is, how would this work with network numbers being used, ie. numbers that have more than 10 digits? Have seen SMS's coming through with up to 20digits in the number... Would those STOP sms's go through?

Thanks
    Riaan, I have also received a couple of those long digit SMS's - it must be computer generated using bulk SMS messaging.

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

Cool Still a Bear with a sore head

Hi RKS

Unfortunately Bears will still be able to send you an SMS at any ungodly hour of the day or night telling you about their furnitings (of unknown quality)...

Unless, you get off your ass (and by the look of it, pay for the privilege) and tell them to take your cellphone number off of their list. Ie. They ain't gonna stop until you tell them to go away.

And that's only for South African based smss; the extra long digit ones are probably being sent from outside the country and you've probably got about as much a chance of getting rid of those as Hitler had of going straight to heaven.

Cheers
    A

Thanks
    Don't you just love it when a woman talks dirty hehehehehe

Hi Ann,

I suppose you're right, but here's the thing:

Even though I've been to the shop where I've bought the kak lounge suite, and have complained to the manager, as well as sending off two (2) letters to their head office, they still can't be arsed to stop sending me text messages...

I'm just glad they don't have my email addy as I'm sure they'd be selling it in no time to make up for the money lost on fetching their stuff back...

Why have you been so quiet the last few weeks?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    ...and would reasonably expect to receive marketing communications from them'.
    If I give my cellphone number after having bought a TV, I expect them to call me with regard to the TV... but this clause it really open for interpretation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went shopping at Hirsch's the other day. Along the way, collecting all the details for the invoice, they asked for my cellphone number. And I said "You're not on my list of folk who qualify for my cellphone number - You need me, call my office."

For a moment there I thought he was going to be silly enough to insist, but the sight of my staffer rolling on the floor laughing must have stopped him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast