Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a business

Thanks
    Adrian great post.
    Never be scared to fire your customer. You want customers who value your time as much as you do. When they look for little problems which are not important then you know they don't have the money to pay.
    Then learn from that to improve and recover the extra time it takes to perfect.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Adrian I like the way you think. I agree with all your points.

Just like no. 21 to your list.

When you find something wrong on a site or an item a customers brings you especially if it was built or installed by some else, don't make a fuss about, no matter how f$&)( up it is rather just keep quite and offer a solution with a quote. Chances are you will get to fix it, but if you go on about what kak the other person did you might find yourself without work, as you mentioned word gets around.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I thought I don't market my current business, the one which pays the bills at the moment, but the reality is every time I leave my workshop and do anything be it on site or even a site meeting, I either promote or destroy my company image. The project I have just completed was proof of that, as project completed so the quote requested rolled into my inbox. I would have had to grow by 6 teams to keep up, unfortunately I didn't get 1 because I just don't have the manpower. It not a bad thing right now as I am trying to fix old and make sure things are right with the new.
    Last edited by ians; 21-Aug-14 at 06:37 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Starting a business

I find as a one man operation, it is difficult to be the only person making all the decision which couldn't have been that bad considering I am still at it after 23 years. Having this forum to throw things out there and hear what others have say or have experienced just make it a little easier.

The bank for example, I will go listen to their proposal and see if I can save money and how their system works, then if I think there is possibility make a decision. I have accounts already operating so it just a matter of fine turning, as a business the bottom line is not always the best choice. Simple things like ATM locations, internet banking experience and customer payment methods are things I am looking at. I am just very concerned about my highly confidential and personal information which keeps getting lost at Standard bank, like like copies of my ID, surely the bank has a safe place to keep this kind of information and records, it a bank. If you can't trust the bank to keep things safe who can you trust?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When I factor my costing, I take my salary as part of the expense to manufacture. I then place the mark up on the final amount. At some point in the future, you want to get out of being the worker, and employ someone to take over, if you have not taken this into consideration from the onset, then you will never be able too.

What I have done is, that I have taken all the expenses to run the business every month, including wages and salaries, insurance, telephone, staff refreshments, etc, just like a trial balance with only expenses excluding the cost of stock and materials to manufacture, but include consumables, and averaged this cost across the number of hours you expect to work in one month, in my case I have taken my business hours, 160 hours per month. Divide the total run cost by the number of hours, and it gives you a very good indication what you hourly running cost is. You will be surprised how high it actually is. Now once you can work out how long a job takes, you know what it costs to manufacture, now add in the raw materials cost and you have a pretty good idea on the actual cost.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (30-Aug-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Sounds like you've been there and got the tee shirt but you'll need it in 4XL to get all that post on it.

I think the thing with the math is you've got to truely understand your expenses and truely understand what constitutes salary and what constitutes profit. Your point about kidding yourself is very valid as well, there's many small business owners that are constantly in a state of denial and don't see the elephant in the room because they simply don't want to.
    The math is hard because we look at it from the wrong perspective. We look at it purely in terms of "profit". Of course profit isn't cash in hand and cash in hand keeps you alive. It took me a long time to realize that simply churning money over has no value. Turning over R1,000,000 and spending R1,000,001 to make the money isn't particularly useful.

I've truly learned so many things and still learn every day:

1. Banks are parasites. Although it is nice to use cards and EFT you are better off running as much cash as you can. If the customer pays you R3K in cash and you then pay your supplier or Pick & Pay using that cash you save on all the associated fees. I am not saying trade under the counter, I am saying that you should try to avoid the banks as far as possible.
    2. The one thing that I've had to come to grips with is calculating actual manufacturing cost. I can now project practically any job in advance with a 10% accuracy.
    3. Another thing that ties in directly with point 2 is "opportunity cost". Ok, let's say you can earn R150 per hour working art your day job or R300 doing something for customer A or R 10 for customer B you should be brutally honest and do the work that ads the most value, not only financially but in the long term. I was always told that if you trade and you are not making any tangible money you are better off spending the entire day watching videos. The reason for this is that you burn yourself out accomplishing nothing.
    4. There is another very important fact that you need to keep in mind about "opportunity cost" I will give you an example from my business. If I do a very complicated job once off for a customer and it takes me a long time to do I run the risk of making money in the short term and adding no value in the long term. When I evaluate the work that I am getting into I try to make sure that the time spent can be re-used in some way in the future. If I spend one hour developing a product that I can sell 500 times then that hour is better spent doing the development work (provided of course that you have enough cash not to have to bring cash in for that hour. The approach that I took at the outset was very problematic because I spent all my time developing products and no time selling them. That is not useful either because you die of hunger whilst creating your masterpiece.
    5. Bread and butter money is always something to keep in mind. Develop a couple of easy to manufacture things that you can spit out and sell easily. That way you create a small ongoing income stream while you work on the bigger things.
    6. Be very careful of big companies. I got stung many times by taking on big orders at low margins. The effect that it has on the business is that you work your butt off, you don't make real money and the bugger pay you on 30 day terms etc.
    7. I don't give terms at all anymore, pay me COD or go away. A customer of ours gave a craft shop R7K of stuff on consignment. The shop closed down and she couldn't get anything back.
    8. Talking about T-shirts. We made some custom T-shirts only to get the spelling wrong, the sizes wrong or even the colours wrong. I no longer do custom work unless I am very very sure that the customer isn't going to give me a hard time. You are far better off steering clear of stuff where customers can change their minds.

I can rattle on an on but the bottom line is simply that you have to roll with the punches and that you shouldn't take misfortune to heart. It is a long hard road but it is very rewarding even if you don't make a fortune. I love being able to say that I am in control of my destiny, even if that control is rather hap-hazard most of the time.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    When I factor my costing, I take my salary as part of the expense to manufacture. I then place the mark up on the final amount. At some point in the future, you want to get out of being the worker, and employ someone to take over, if you have not taken this into consideration from the onset, then you will never be able too.

What I have done is, that I have taken all the expenses to run the business every month, including wages and salaries, insurance, telephone, staff refreshments, etc, just like a trial balance with only expenses excluding the cost of stock and materials to manufacture, but include consumables, and averaged this cost across the number of hours you expect to work in one month, in my case I have taken my business hours, 160 hours per month. Divide the total run cost by the number of hours, and it gives you a very good indication what you hourly running cost is. You will be surprised how high it actually is. Now once you can work out how long a job takes, you know what it costs to manufacture, now add in the raw materials cost and you have a pretty good idea on the actual cost.
    I need to go through this exercise.....I think that not doing this exercise is the biggest thing that is messing my business up at the moment. <Printscreen...Shreadsheet to do today>

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi there,
    I'm finding this thread rather interesting as I have also just started my own little business.
    I was really hoping that someone would spend more time answering ians question about Tax. He may not need a VAT number yet as he isn't earning enough yet but what happens at the end of the Tax year?
    When I did my Tax this year I saw there was a question of any 'extra earnings', which I would assume you would select yes and then put in the amount. But do you put in just the profits your earned? Or all the money that came into your business? Or do you pay Tax on the money that comes in every month?
    These might be silly questions but I have only ever freelanced in my life and so am now sure how Tax works in business terms.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What I find interesting about this thread, is that it is really materializing my findings that I have delved into over the last 3 or 4 months, I have been mulling over what I have been doing wrong, in other words, why is there not a fat bank account with my name on it. The realization has come is that my mark up, even after I have factored all the costs is toooo low. I was working on a 30 to 35% mark up on my so called calculated cost on production runs, but I have pushed it up to between 40 and 50%, and am noticing the bank balance improving every month. I have subsequently worked out that not all jobs go according to plan, and when you have allocated the hours to the job, it invariably takes longer because of external factors, such as late deliveries from suppliers, no stock at regular suppliers so you have to buy out from other suppliers at a higher cost. Another point to consider very carefully is selecting the right customer, I now avoid the customer who always complains that I am too expensive and wants everything yesterday, my words usually are "well you are entitled to find someone else with my blessing". Fortunately I have had other business to allow me to say this, there was a time last year where I had to take on any crappy work, which cost me more in time than in income.

I have also been limiting my time spent in meetings with prospective clients. If I feel that with in the first 5 minutes that there is going to be no business, then I tend to end the meeting cordially. I also tend to get all my correspondence by mail, as opposed to telephonic calls. Telephonic calls take up a huge amount of time and are disruptive. Emails allows me to answer when I am free, and also gets my full attention. I know this is not what customers want to hear, but this is the reality, when you are a small business, and you are the captain of the ship, who doubles up as the first mate and engineer. When the ship is heading towards the bank because of a stuck rudder, believe me that telephone call will make sure you strike the bank so to speak.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I ran a quick spread sheet looking at the business top down as Justloadit suggested. It is very clear that I am not earning enough per hour. Another thing that I did was to speak to the staff about how long it takes to manufacture particular products. It is interesting to see that some products make R300 per hour and some R70 per hour. We have to deliver some of the high value stuff and some of the low value stuff but I can now plan the number of items that need to be delivered extremely well. This side of the operation can now be planned accordingly. The thing now is to see how much money one can generate from the lasers. Both lasers are terribly under utilized and if we were to get them working earning ever R50 an hour they would generate a good income.

Lots and lots to think about.....

With rega5rds to tax: I think that if you are earning smallish amounts of money and you are not VAT registered and your clients are not paying money directly into your bank account you simply keep your mouth shut. Once you start dealing with people who are unwilling to work with cash and who want invoices etc then you have to do the legal thing...which I am sure somebody else would be able to tell you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast