Thread: working hours, overtime paid - not paid? complicated?????

Thanks

working hours, overtime paid - not paid? complicated?????

Hi

I work in the petroleum industry as a supervisor; we are three supervisors, three shifts. TWO ON ONE OFF

i understand our manager is a 16.2 appointee, I on the other hand have signed no appointment letter i have also signed no new cantract with my employer since a moved up from a admin clerk to a despatch supervisor. When you sign on for day shift our shift are from six to four, night shift is from four to two in the morning(ten hour shifts not including lunch break), so from two to six in the morning is like no man’s land, my manager expects us to stay until the last truck comes in and parks. We are not paid any over time it has never bothered me to work until five or six in the morning i was never really bothered about overtime.

the other two supervisors go home at 2 o'clock whether the truck are in for the night or not they refuse to stay longer than what they should due to the fact we don’t get paid for the extra hours worked. there are other supervisors in our industry who are paid overtime we have tried talking to management about it but get the cold shoulder when we want to discuss it, it’s like a no go zone for them.

Last week I got my performance rating and it was so unfair this has made me start thinking about where my loyalty should actually lie. i am a signel mom my six year old has always had to take a back seat becasue work pays our bills.

My question
    Who is responsible for the vehicles on the road between two and six in the morning there is no policy that address this. If we are a 24/6 operation should there then not be three supervisor working every day eight hours to cover a 24 hour day?

Who is responsible for the four hours that nobody gets paid for?
    I understand there is a threshold when it comes to overtime my annually salary cost to company is R227 150.00 my basic pay before deduction is R13 250.00

Tina

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinajacobs View Post
    the other two supervisors go home at 2 o'clock whether the truck are in for the night or not they refuse to stay longer than what they should due to the fact we don’t get paid for the extra hours worked.
    If they're doing this without consequence, perhaps you should follow their lead until the company sees sense. The company has set a precedent, so there's no way they could "discipline" you without being found inconsistent...

On the safety responsibility front, without proper delegation and acceptance of responsibility to someone else, I would expect the 16.2 appointee is probably in the firing line.