Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exposed wiring in home bar lighting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Andy thanks for the explanation. Forgetting the strain relief, if the appliance had a earthing terminal (Class 1 appliance) it would then be a legal installation?
    I personally would say no it wouldn't be compliant unless the lampholder is covered and not accessible using the finger test. Please don't take my answer as definitive though because I'm not an electrician as such, I design and build control sytems.

Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Simple, Maizey plastics, clear perspex a little heat and 2 screws or just buy cheap plastic bulkheads and remove the clear covers and secure using the holes on the cover.

If it is for your own house, take them out throw them in the dustbin and fit led strip lights.
    This would be the route I would go.

I'm also assuming there's ballasts with open wiring and terminals somewhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I personally would say no it wouldn't be compliant unless the lampholder is covered and not accessible using the finger test.
    Found SANS 10142; 6.14.4.1: A lamp holder shall be shrouded in insulating material or shall be earthed, unless it is simultaneously:

a) out of arm's reach
    b) ....

I gather from this that it would be acceptable as long as no live conductors are accessible and the casing of the lamp holder is earthed?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Busy with some emergency lighting, wow put a whole new twist on dangerous, having a permanent live and a switched live and just to add a whole pile of exposed wiring 😜clearly someone forgot to mention it to emergency backup companies.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm also assuming there's ballasts with open wiring and terminals somewhere.
    Nope - 220v all the way to the CFL.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I gather from this that it would be acceptable as long as no live conductors are accessible and the casing of the lamp holder is earthed?
    Not an earth to be found, and to retrofit one to each light is going to get ugly.

We've gone with the plastic bulkhead covers solution as suggested by Ian, which also resolves the concern that immediately leapt out at me from my food safety interests - containment if the bulb is broken. Nothing quite like shards of glass with your favourite tipple to test if you've had too much already.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Exposed wiring in home bar lighting

Dave I have some bad news for you those lamps cannot run without a ballast, they must be some where hidden away.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I thought the same but when Dave said no ballasts I assumed the lamp holder might have it integrated. I've not come across this but the lamp holder looks considerably deeper than usual so I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought the same but when Dave said no ballasts I assumed the lamp holder might have it integrated.
    Let's assume I'm wrong then.

Please bear in mind my IE brings me the problem he's looking for opinions on - in this case the exposed wiring at the light. As a result my knowledge of the entire situation can safely be assumed to be incomplete, so the correct answer on ballasts would be "there's been no mention of ballasts as an issue."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12