Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New business

Thanks

New business

I have a few questions:

1. Should I try and find a shelf CC or just go the pty route from the start?
    2. Can I buy/register a cc/pty before start-up or is it done simultaneously?
    3. How does dividend tax work? Do the company pay 28% tax on profit and then an additional 15% dividend tax? This does not make sense to me.

I still have plenty questions which will be asked in the next few months.

Thanks
    4. I have 2 vehicles that are paid off. When I start the business they will be used in the business. Must the business buy the vehicles from me or what would be the best?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    1. Should I try and find a shelf CC or just go the pty route from the start?
    I doubt you'll find any shelf cc's anymore, so use a pty.

2. Can I buy/register a cc/pty before start-up or is it done simultaneously?
    You can do either way, but save yourself the trouble and get the incorporation in place.

3. How does dividend tax work? Do the company pay 28% tax on profit and then an additional 15% dividend tax? This does not make sense to me.
    Yip thats right. In reality, there are tax breaks for small companies (sbc) so the likelihood of you immediately being in the 28% bracket is remote.

Remember that the 15% dividend tax is actually paid by the recipient of the dividend; the shareholder.

4. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Thanks
    Thank you. So you need to find the best balance between your salary and dividend for optimal tax benefits....
    Must the company not pay the dividend tax before paying it to the shareholder?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE-TRIANGLE View Post
    Yip thats right. In reality, there are tax breaks for small companies (sbc) so the likelihood of you immediately being in the 28% bracket is remote.
    What is the annual turnover for sbc, 14 or 20 mil?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bodec View Post
    4. I have 2 vehicles that are paid off. When I start the business they will be used in the business. Must the business buy the vehicles from me or what would be the best?
    I would leave the vehicles registered where they are and lease them to the new Pty, that way if the Pty goes belly up you at least retain the vehicles.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

8. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I agree with Wynn. And then, I would rent the vehicles to the company, as you can then deduct all expenses related in your personal name as well, so as to minimize your tax liability.

What is the annual turnover for sbc, 14 or 20 mil?
    20 Million. Refer: Income Tax Act section 12E

10. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE-TRIANGLE View Post
    The Small Business Corporation tax structure may not be around for very much longer if National Treasury's plan to replace it with a tax rebate is approved. Assuming the change goes through, it will take effect from 2016. Either way, you would need to satisfy all of the SBC registration criteria (which are frustratingly complex and disqualify many SMMEs).

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

12. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I would leave the vehicles registered where they are and lease them to the new Pty, that way if the Pty goes belly up you at least retain the vehicles.
    I'm not sure if it will be that easy. Is the lease income in the individual's (reg owner) name not be construed as income & subject to individual tax?

14. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    The Small Business Corporation tax structure may not be around for very much longer if National Treasury's plan to replace it with a tax rebate is approved. Assuming the change goes through, it will take effect from 2016. Either way, you would need to satisfy all of the SBC registration criteria (which are frustratingly complex and disqualify many SMMEs).
    You're right, and the proposed rebate does not even come close. I'm sure it will be approved and I'm sure half the sbc's out there will suddenly be making losses

16. Thanks given for this post:

bodec (09-Aug-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast