Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop for design.

Thanks

Talking Laptop for design.

HI Peeps

I would like some input from those who are using Matte based laptops.

I am a designer and currently looking for a laptop.

I have found few but i am rather extremely confused as which to go for.

At the moment these are my options

Mecer Xpression W970SUW Haswell 4th Generation

MSI CX702OD (MS-CX702OD-022ZA)

all input will be much appreciated

regards

Thanks
    They both look reasonable, at least to me. What type of "design" do you do? Most importantly, what program(s) are you using?

For me they're about minimum required, but that's because my main program is Revit (which needs 16GB preferred minimum RAM, high GHz CPU rather than multiple cores, and a decent graphics card). If it was AutoCAD or PhotoShop, then that's overkill. If it's 3dStudio then it's too slow (CPU) with too little RAM.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    generally speaking: I thought the more cores the better as that is the only way things can run in parallel? A faster single processor can only handle one thing at the time.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I was just looking at this issue because I am in a similar boat. This from Wikipedia
    The improvement in performance gained by the use of a multi-core processor depends very much on the software algorithms used and their implementation. In particular, possible gains are limited by the fraction of the software that can be run in parallel simultaneously on multiple cores; this effect is described by Amdahl's law. In the best case, so-called embarrassingly parallel problems may realize speedup factors near the number of cores, or even more if the problem is split up enough to fit within each core's cache(s), avoiding use of much slower main system memory. Most applications, however, are not accelerated so much unless programmers invest a prohibitive amount of effort in re-factoring the whole problem.[3] The parallelization of software is a significant ongoing topic of research.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    HI Peeps

I would like some input from those who are using Matte based laptops.

I am a designer and currently looking for a laptop.

I have found few but i am rather extremely confused as which to go for.

At the moment these are my options

Mecer Xpression W970SUW Haswell 4th Generation

MSI CX702OD (MS-CX702OD-022ZA)

all input will be much appreciated

regards
    I run a Acer Travelmate P273 i7 8Gb RAM on Windows 7. The machine is the only decently priced i7 laptop that I could find that has a full keyboard and matte 17 inch screen. Lets see, I have a keyboard, mouse, 3D SpaceExplorer , external hard drive, printer, network and a 27 inch Samsung screen connected to it and it runs like a rocket. I draw on the big screen (and sometimes run a viewport on the laptop screen) but I generally watch movies or farm on the internet on the laptop screen while working on the big screen.

I spend 90% of my day drawing in Rhino so I have 1-6 copies of that going, it is a long story but I always have CorelDraw running as well. IE, Firefox and WinAmp are always open and I often use Lightroom and Corel PhotoPaint in between everything else. ...and the machine just keeps on going.

I reboot the machine maybe two or three times a week just for the hell of it.

Ok, to cut to the chase, my Acer rocks and I think that it is the perfect machine for CAD.

Thanks
    Thank you. At the moment i run graphic design software but aim to run 3D software... well it is 8 cores but they msrge when the power demands it

Im just confused as i have an older gen mecer (the model before the above mentioned.) Bt i need a matte screen now not glossy... i mentioned the laptops above as they 15k each and cheapest in its range bt also exremely exp in my budget...

Thanks
    Hi i must say all the acer laptops i checked were glossy screens and used the "u" chipz which is the low power saver chip where they cut the lower...i will google ur laptop n check it out..thank u.

The mecer and asus has a qm chip which is power hungry n rated over 7000 on the bench mark...where the u chips are rated over 4000 on the bench mark

Thanks
    I was also thinking of just replacing my current laptop screen with a matte screen.but i cannot find a place where they can do so for me.. by any chance does any one of you know a place that can do so for me? That way i can save some cash by just replacing my glossy screen on this laptop

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't think that you will be able to replace the screen with mate version. Maybe you should try to fin a sheet of matte plastic and paste it over the screen. Go to you local art supply store and see what you can find. What about a A3 matte laminating pouch....

Thanks
    Thanks adrian. I shall try that . Appreciate the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast