Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop for design.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Looks like a magnificent project, but looking at the Discovery project, I just can not think negatively on the number of claims which are paid way late and rejected, I can now see where all the money is going to, and its not for medical benefits.
    Don't get me started on medical aids, banks & insurance companies!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    well in the near future i do hope to do work that comes atleast 50% close to the type of rendering/ Designs you do i see what you mean, but for now im going to learn 3D so basics for now (might as well look at a machine)
    but i still need a laptop for portability even if its not as good...
    Yep, but this is what I'm on about. Doing those renders took all of a weekend (i.e. set 3dStudio to start on Friday and then got the PNGs on Monday) - this is where the parallelism comes in.

But actually making the virtual 3d model and setting all the materials & lights, adjusting levels and exposure, etc. took about a month - and this uses ONLY ONE SINGLE CORE on each change you do! Move a wall ... open Task Manager to see how many cores are actually working ... nope only one at 100%, the rest hovering between 0% and 1%! Thus having multiple cores (as on my current workstation: a dual Xeon X5650 6 Core - i.e. 12 true cores, 24 hyper-threaded, at 2.67GHz + 24GB 1600MHz RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti - cost around R30k) means squat for most of your actual work. What does help here is a fast Hz and fast+large RAM (i.e. upwards from 3GHz CPU and upwards from 1600MHz 16GB RAM). And this I've found works rather well on my home PC: i7-2700K @ 3.5GHz 4 core, 8 hyper-threaded, 16GB RAM, GeForce 480 (cost around R13k and 2 years older than the Xeon) ... to the point where I can edit stuff there faster (around 2/3rds the time) than on my workstation in the office, but renderings are around 2.5 times as fast in the office.

The "rendering" is only the final step (never more than about 10% of total time spent on the project, more usually around 1%). So the place where multiple cores actually help is infinitesimally small in comparison to where they DON’T. Then when you do those renderings it's also a set-and-forget action (i.e. overnight no need to baby-sit the process), not to mention you can use multiple PC's instead of multiple cores.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Yes iread up on online rendering as well...was told it takes 2 to3 hours. Let me see what i can find out on that side...

I still need a matte display laptop though for moving around with... a power pc can always come later

Thanks
    My bad not online. An interior deasign teacher informed me about online rendering

Thanks
    My bad not online. An interior deasign teacher informed me about online rendering
    You can definitely make use of some on-line rendering. Just remember they're not cheap by a long shot. And usually cause extra issues making you less productive. As sample AutoDesk provides what they refer to as Cloud Rendering, when I tested it - it actually took longer to upload the model than it took to render it locally, and then you still needed to wait for the results to be emailed to you. And you needed to upload the model for each single image (frame / scene) you wished to render. But worse was that stuff like custom materials and lighting went all haywire. For small models using mostly built-in additives you might find it a good alternative. Best way would be to test though.

I still need a matte display laptop though for moving around with... a power pc can always come later
    Matte displays are very nice in shaded areas - no reflections. But (be warned) they're worse than useless if any sunlight shines on them (even indirectly). I've found using a laptop while being driven around is impossible with a matte display. But "fortunately" you'd not do much work while running off a battery anyway - especially 3D stuff, it eats batteries for breakfast.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123