Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreigners occupying local jobs?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    I've been trying to research pale-skinned groups resident in Nigeria, Kenya, before they were granted independence.

Did they go through similar things to what is presently happening in SA, or was it completely different for them? What were their world views? Were they nationalistic? What were the economies like? Where are they now?
    You must remember that they see us as the foreigners.

I think that unless colonialists came in to power and stayed in power they didn't fare too well. I think that the thought process on the part of the locals and their offspring is "You've told us what to do for long enough. We don't care what you know or what you think we should do, you should just leave us alone to do things the way we see fit"

This is the way I think that they see their lives (metaphorically speaking as usual)
    A person adopts a child from another nationality. The person then beats the child if the child does anything wrong. The child starts to rebel and then gets locked in the cupboard for long periods. The more the child rebels the harsher the parent becomes. At long last the child is 21 and is now free to choose his own path. The child tells the parent that he plans to take the house in which he suffered all his life, to burn it down and to rebuild it as he sees fit. The parent tells him that he can show him exactly how to build the new house just as long as he doesn't kick the parent out. The child says that he doesn't actually care what the parent does just as long as the parent stays out of his face. The child is now big and strong and has the power to wring the parents neck.

The question is not... What does the child do?

but rather...What does the parent do?

2. Thank given for this post:

desA (28-Jul-14), pmbguy (28-Jul-14)

Thanks
    ...What does the parent do?
    Emigrate?
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Emigrate?
    There are various options:
    1. Emigrate.
    2. Rebel.
    3. Sulk and die.
    4. Put your pride in your pocket and work around the problem child. Not to work against him but rather to survive and succeed in spite of him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    "You've told us what to do for long enough. We don't care what you know or what you think we should do, you should just leave us alone to do things the way we see fit"?
    Well said - it’s a natural response even

I like to have long conversations with my black clients about family, SA, business, politics, etc. Most of them are sharp and they know more about what’s going on then we often give them credit for.

I feel that once the model C generation “comes into power” SA will be pulling itself right… we just have to adapt and posture ourselves best to the current situation until then, whilst actively working to make things better, still making money.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    I am a white foreigner on paper, but probably more South African than foregin by now. I do not think that there should be any discussion about being foreign or what race, but purely on merrit who gets what job. Period.

Just glad that I have my own business and a little legacy to leave//live off too by now. Busy growing it.

I pretty much all ignore all factors I cannot change to stay sane.

Another analogy to the bombs would be Warren Buffet. "Be greedy when others are fearful and be fearful when others are greedy." OR "Buy when there is blood on the streets."
    In more simple terms: "swim against the stream if you want to be successful"
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

7. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (28-Jul-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Well said - it’s a natural response even

I like to have long conversations with my black clients about family, SA, business, politics, etc. Most of them are sharp and they know more about what’s going on then we often give them credit for.

I feel that once the model C generation “comes into power” SA will be pulling itself right… we just have to adapt and posture ourselves best to the current situation until then, whilst actively working to make things better, still making money.
    Exactly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Warren Buffet. "Be greedy when others are fearful and be fearful when others are greedy." OR "Buy when there is blood on the streets."
    Love it

Just some side trivia - Buffet's favorite book is "How to win friends and influence people" By Dale Carnegie

A link to the book PDF
    **Sorry, link removed**
    Last edited by AndyD; 28-Jul-14 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removed link to © infringing material.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    I notice that most of the "positive" comments come from people who are successful or own their own business.
    Think about the response you'll get when you try to explain western business or global business practices to a person who has no home or no food to feed his family.

I say it again - Just look around you and see the state of our country. Everything functioned reasonably well before the current government.

We all say we must wait, things will get better. WHEN? Do we have to re-invent the wheel or would it not be progress if we can improve on it.

The only people benefiting today in SA is in government.

It is claimed that "ALL" are free now - are we really free??????? Are we not "ALL" worst off than before.

It is amazing how the conversation changes other than the issue at hand.

Thanks
    Various shades of denial & spades of positive thinking, I'd suspect. Would it ever be any other way in an ever-changing political landscape?

Mention of the phenomenal rise of the EFF Red Tide, may introduce another aspect for consideration?
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JanChris View Post
    I notice that most of the "positive" comments come from people who are successful or own their own business.
    Think about the response you'll get when you try to explain western business or global business practices to a person who has no home or no food to feed his family.
    The only reason we are slowly succeeding is because we work 18 hours a day to build up a little business. Don't kid yourself, we know perfectly well what its like not to have money.

I say it again - Just look around you and see the state of our country. Everything functioned reasonably well before the current government.
    Maybe if you were white, if you were black you were totally f*cked. Our maid carried a passbook and and and....

We all say we must wait, things will get better. WHEN? Do we have to re-invent the wheel or would it not be progress if we can improve on it.
    Forget about the big picture, build your own life yourself.

The only people benefiting today in SA is in government.
    Rubbish, there are many people who run profitable businesses.

It is claimed that "ALL" are free now - are we really free??????? Are we not "ALL" worst off than before.
    There is no such thing as total freedom. We all have to abide by rules. I was speaking to a lady last night who grew up in Copenhagen, according to her she prefers to stay here because we are so free to do as we please. Everything is perfectly organized there, people are little robots going about their little regimented lives

The issue at hand is that life is k@k and you can't change it. We al got dealt the same cards and we have to make the best of it. You can think laterally and come up with a plan...

I clearly remember PW Botha saying the following "Adapt or Die" aye well, now we are at the receiving end of that statement!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast