Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The fight against sub-standard electrical components

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    This is not only in die electrical industry. Speaking to friends of mine in the engineering industry they have the same problem. You get the "fongkong Chinese imports" then you get the quality German/Italian etc. imports.

The problem with contractors is that alot of them try to get their foot in the door by having the cheapest quote and the client falls for that.

Their are 3 people involved here : client, contractor, supplier.

Clients who want it the cheapest. Contractors that are desperate for work and suppliers that are clueless about the products they sell and are money hungry.

I believe we as contractors can make the difference. By knowing our products (and not just going on the word of our suppliers) by presenting the client with different choices i.e. using the fongkong cheapy will probably lead to damage of equipment and regular replacements and using the more expensive quality there is more of a garentee and less replacements.

And advising our client about the different possibilities and consequences.

End of the day its the client's choice, but we as professionals have to advise our client best possible.

If we are talking about uncertified illegal products bought from some street vendor, then it is good for the professional who is signing that CoC to just remember that he is taking responsibility for "material and procurement" which in turn would make him responsible should that device fail and result in loss of property or personal injury cause the supplier whould be long gone...

Same for client using a contractor, making sure he is properly registered before having him do work on his premesis to avoid having any legal implications should something go wrong.

As we say, "Goedkoop koop is duur koop"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    If we are talking about uncertified illegal products bought from some street vendor, then it is good for the professional who is signing that CoC to just remember that he is taking responsibility for "material and procurement" which in turn would make him responsible should that device fail and result in loss of property or personal injury cause the supplier whould be long gone...
    Would that responsibility for material apply to a "test only" COC?

Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    Same for client using a contractor, making sure he is properly registered before having him do work on his premesis to avoid having any legal implications should something go wrong.
    I'm finding this to be a regular problem, with two main elements:
    • Clients don't insist on a COC when they have the installation altered - they rely on the existing COC already issued and don't realise the alteration affects the validity of the existing COC
    • Clients are unaware that the electrical installation has been interfered with (most common one being geyser changes or repairs, but it's an issue that crops up with all sorts of other fixed appliances fairly often too).

Thanks
    The problem starts at our doorstep. The SABS certification is issued to the rubbish. Being substandard is not the only problem, items which do not comply with safety requirements are also certified.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    The SABS certification is issued to the rubbish. Being substandard is not the only problem, items which do not comply with safety requirements are also certified.
    Can you substantiate your claim?
    Product with model and the SABS number, which must be on a label as part of the equipment.
    I am busy going through the process of getting one of my products SABS certified, and there is no way that SABS will certify equipment which does not meet the SABS standards.
    This is also no cheap exercise.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Send it to China first and then apply from there. Chinese junk which is lethal is getting imported with their blessing. Electrical equipment gets approved for import despite not meeting the requirements. Problem is that you are not "yellow" enough for the new SA. I don't have such a good memory anymore, but there has been discussion on the forum already about products which are supposed to be safe from water ingress, yet when a plug top is plugged in the lid cannot closed. The product carries a SABS mark! Bedside lamps are not a dime a dozen any more but, take a look to see what the lampholder is made of and how many cores the cable it is fitted with has.... the market is full of shady products

Thanks
    [QUOTE=DieterT;11734

[/QUOTE]
    What can a client do if something goes wrong and the contractor who does an alteration is not registered.
    90% of "electricians" I meet now-days are handymen who will take on small electrical jobs, or builders who have a "boy" who can do conduit and wiring.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    One thing to remember that the responsibility falls on the user and lessor (or even lessee should there be a writen agreement) to make sure the person whom they are using is registered

Same as when a business owner employs a forgeiner he should make sure he has a valid passport and working permit. Say the owner did ask for proof that said electrician is registered and he ends up not having been, then this can also be handed over as fraud.

That is why I put emphasis on paper trail and when you request a CoC on the work that was done, the contractor should sign and give his adress and contact number with registration code as professional and (GN) number as contractor.

Both of these can be verified with the department of labour and/or Nico vd Berg the AIA. My advise is not to end up with a surprise and make contact with the them beter before using the contractor to avoid lots of headaches (this is south africa and we know that the government's bark is bigger than their bite...apart from SARS...)

But should the work have been done, CoC issued and contractor found to be "illegal" or not properly registered then the DoL or the AIA can be contacted.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Always ask for proof of registration. I carry my DoL card with my everywhere. There is no excuse for the contractor not to have it, it is the same as not having your drivers liscense and the metro pulls you over.

The DoL indentification card does look fake, I have made beter fake IDs in my younger days than this, but if in doubt, call Nico vd Berg the AIA or the DoL and give them the registration numbers to make sure it is legal. Rememeber to give both as he should also be registered as electrical contractor (GN number) and not just the professional number (single phase tester, installation electrician or master electrician)

An artisan is not allowed to do electrical work without the supervision of an registered electrician. Supervision does not required the registered electrician to be there looking over his shoulder 100% of the time. It is just to show that some sort of control had been preformed by the registered electrician...

Pretty sure you would quickly see if the contractor is legal once you ask him if you can see his DoL card and to confirm if it is correct with DoL...This is honestly the only way we can get rid of these "fly by nights" as it is almost impossible for the DoL and one AIA to stop them all and even more if the user/lessors allow them to continue their work.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Would that responsibility for material apply to a "test only" COC?

I'm finding this to be a regular problem, with two main elements:
    • Clients don't insist on a COC when they have the installation altered - they rely on the existing COC already issued and don't realise the alteration affects the validity of the existing COC
    • Clients are unaware that the electrical installation has been interfered with (most common one being geyser changes or repairs, but it's an issue that crops up with all sorts of other fixed appliances fairly often too).
    Hi Dave.

No it would not.
    Only to the extend that a visual inspection and test report could have shown defective or non compliant materials.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Geyser replacements is probably one of the most common problems. We like to refer to it as the "ticking time bomb"

A common thing plumbers aren't aware of is the earth strapping thus most people are complaining about the taps tickling them when touched and getting bad shocks once drenched in water touching the taps or for that part anything conductive connected to geyser pipes....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast