Thread: Pre paid electricity metering

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Pre paid electricity metering

If you live in Durban and applied for a prepaid meter in past couple years you will find that you could still be waiting for the costing never mind the installation of your prepaid meter. Well you in for a long wait especially if it is a change from a std to a prepaid.

It seems that they just dont notify you of any delays, they just dont do anything. If you phone them after like a year to find out what is going on they they will tell you they dont have stock..,mmm. I believe they have realized that if people dont pay rates etc they cant switch off your electricity and they are not allowed to switch off your water so they are pretty screwed.

So if you have applied for a new prepaid you could get lucky, but if you apply for a change over, you are in for a looooooooong wait.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some other useless information , if your electricity is disconnected, the reconnect fee has just gone up from R130 to R424 in 1 month. If i was a contractor doing these reconnects i would would be bitching like anything considering they only get R 12, daylight robbery if you ask me, shame i feel bad because i always make take the ladder off the vehicle and pull the fuse. They should get a link stick like i have it is much easier to pull the fuse and re-insert it, but i suppose at R12 they couldnt afford to buy one😜
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I was hoping to include a photo of the meter I am talking about. Sub-metering meters people are using them as main meters. My take on it is that there is nothing wrong with that is the installation is getting electricity direct from Eskom and the meter meets Eskom specifications. The problem is with the municipality supplied installation as the sub-metering companies operate as competitors to municipalities. The down side is the cost, the unit of sub-metering companies is way more expensive than Eskom as they also have to make profit. These are my thoughts, I will appreciate to get the facts about these sub-metering and Eskom.