Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 'floppy' motorbike mirror

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Need help with 'floppy' motorbike mirror

My scooter mirror is dropping all the time at the ball type hinge to adjust it in any directtion. Its basically worn out I guess as its friction based. There is nothing to tighten. I am thinking of silly ideas like insulating tape, trying prestik or glue to keep it in a (even fixed if need be) position. Or a more elegant solution like a spray with some grain in it which increases friction. Is there something like that? Does anybody have a better idea? The mirror is perfectly fine otherwise and not ready to be scrapped.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Insert a thin piece of rubber in the socket cavity so it grips but you can still adjust it. I did this to a shower head and it worked like a charm
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Sound slike a good idea, but I cannot get it apart. If I force it I fear something is going to snap. Its die cast alu I think. It will have to be ultra thin rubber to fit in there anyway, but I am sure I would find something suitable IF I get it apart that is.
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Suspended
    Thanks
    What about squeezing some Locktite into the socket ? Just make sure you get the mirror in the right place and it will never move again.

5. Thanks given for this post:

desA (03-Jul-14)

Thanks
    I mentioned glue myself, but as I said I am looking for a more elegant solution (less permanent) if that is possible at all.
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551

Thanks
    I think you should pull it out. If it does not break then you can insert the rubber (or a small blob of silicone in the back of the socket hole, producing enough forward pressure to make it stiff - yet adjustable). If it does break when you trying to pull it out then you glue it in a set position, but don't glue it in a set position without trying to pull it out first.

There is another way if you really don't want to pull it out - glue it with something like Alcolin Clear Adhesive (Or similar) in a set position. Then if you need to adjust it later you can pull the glue off with relative ease and re-glue it in a new set position
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Its difficult without a photo to look at, but you could drill a small whole in the socket through which you can drive a screw that puts pressure on the ball. You can tighten the screw to set and release it to adjust it.

Thanks
    All good ideas mbguy, thanks.
    Here is a picture too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9496.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	4810  
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551

Thanks
    Drill 4 holes in the socket while attached, the wholes must go right through into the ball. Force silicone into the wholes. The shavings created from the drilling in the narrow space between the socket and the ball, with the silicone, should create enough friction to make it stiff-adjustable

Thanks
    Try to carefully pull the glass of the mirror out and you'll probably find there's a nut or retaining screw inside behind the glass. Important things to remember; 1. If you lever the glass use something plastic, not a screwdriver. 2. No matter how hard you rub shit doesn't shine. If the mirror is cheap and nasty and poorly designed it"s doubtful it will ever work properly whatever you do to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast