Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRB brought into Bok 'quota' debate

Thanks

IRB brought into Bok 'quota' debate

I would like to hear what the other people's opinion is on the above matter. The article is from Rugby365 where they reported that Afriforum is going to lodge a complain and get the IRB to step in.

Firstly I would like to point out that I'm against this whole quota story, play people on merit. If he is black, white, yellow, brown or purple I really don't care, if he is the best play him and not because he's got a certain skin colour.

Now to get back to my story... Afriforum wants to involve the IRB because SARU will contravene the IRB regulation 20 (Regulation 20 determines that any action in rugby which entails racial discrimination amounts to "misconduct".) should they force Heyneke Meyer to chose black players. So what kind of penalties could IRB enforce on SARU? Give SARU a fine but would that help, No I don't think so. The next possible penalty is to not allow SA Rugby to participate in international tournaments (Rugby Championship, Rugby World Cup, Olympics for the 7's) which means no rugby for the Springboks.

So should the IRB get involve we could see that the Springboks would not be allowed to play anymore which is a win situation for the goverment.
    Should SARU ignore the goverment's orders of quota then the goverment will not allow the Springboks to participate in any tournaments...

So if I have missed something what is SARU/SA Rugby left to do because it seems like its a win/win situation for goverment..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
    So should the IRB get involve we could see that the Springboks would not be allowed to play anymore which is a win situation for the goverment.
    I don't think even the government would see that as a win situation for them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I don't think even the government would see that as a win situation for them.
    For goverment it's a case of either a Springbok team full of black players or no Springboks at all. I'm sure our goverment and sport minister is well aware that the IRB doesn't tolerate race discrimination and if I remember correctly the minister also threatened that all sponsorships etc. will be withdrawn from the national sides who doesn't comply with the new quota system which basically indicate to me that they couldn't care less if the Springboks play anymore or not as long as it is filled with black players.

Thanks
    If the IRB enforce their rule, whether they are involved in the debate or not, then there will be no need for a quota driven springbok team as they will not be able to play anyone internationally. So end of problem.

If we are not going to have a merit system to choose players then how about two teams? - one merit driven sponsored by commerce (the springboks) and one black quota team sponsored by the Government. (Barugga barugga). They play each other and the winning team represents SA and SARU finances the tour. It should not take long to see which system is the better one.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    If we are not going to have a merit system to choose players then how about two teams? - one merit driven sponsored by commerce (the springboks) and one black quota team sponsored by the Government. (Barugga barugga).
    It's exactly what I thought as well. The goverment team will probably end up between 11-20 in world rankings where the SA Barbarian/Rebels team would compete like the Springboks are doing now..
    They should actually make a yearly match out of these two teams, should be fun.. EPKings+5 players from other provinces vs Springboks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As soon as a quota is instilled, to me means "RACISM", and any excuse to justify the quotas is not acceptable.

What makes players become skilled at their craft, is the internal motivation that they must muster to be the best, with out this motivation, they are an average player.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

7. Thanks given for this post:

Cappy (26-Jun-14)

Thanks
    My 2c says that the powers that be should concentrate on the development of kids beginning age six cause that is the age most springboks begin playing rugby, then when they come through the ranks there will be no argument because the representation will be balanced by only the best players from everywhere in the country.

Here in the Eastern cape we produce a large number of efficient black players who are usually bought out by the bigger franchises, think Bobo, the twins, Mvovo etc. they all played rugby from an early age.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Why do we not agitate for more whites in our soccer team. If they had more whiteys and a white captain Bafana bafana might achieve something.
    Seriously though, there so many more urgent matters that requires the attention of the government than meddling in sport. The money allocated to the sport ministry would be far better spent on education or jacking our police force up!!

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 sa gonv budget pie-chart.jpg 
Views:	2327 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	4817The budget has already allocated a third of your tax Rands (before corruption) to Education and Security.
    It does not seem to matter what amount is allocated, it will not create a positive result.

Rather promote a reduced tax base and spending on departments that have not shown any benefit to the country.

Instead of going for a new record income and wasting budget, this government should rather see if it can halve the taxes and spend/waste less.

Parties, inauguration costs, grand standing, parliament catering, traveling, body guards and a host of unnecessary expense items cost us far more than sports promotion.

We should rather take the tourism budget, which is not being used to any benefit and use it to properly promote sports teams overseas, which would do a far better job of promoting the country.

I also do not believe overseas people sees any colour issues in a team like the local black racists see it.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast