Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IRB brought into Bok 'quota' debate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Hannan View Post
    If they had more whiteys and a white captain Bafana bafana might achieve something.
    Seriously?

Could you perhaps name some white players who are missing in the national squad to back that thought up?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    My 2c says that the powers that be should concentrate on the development of kids beginning age six cause that is the age most springboks begin playing rugby, then when they come through the ranks there will be no argument because the representation will be balanced by only the best players from everywhere in the country.

Here in the Eastern cape we produce a large number of efficient black players who are usually bought out by the bigger franchises, think Bobo, the twins, Mvovo etc. they all played rugby from an early age.
    That is exactly the reason why Bafana are so useless. It takes 10 years of apprenticeship to learn a skill and to be really good at what you do, whether it is playing the piano, managing a business or playing sport.

Fact is, there are no structures for soccer at black schools. After the administrators have taken their share of sponsorships, the coffers are empty and there is nothing left for developing young players. You cannot start learning the skills of the game at 18 or 19 and then expect to perform at international level.

The rugby players on the other hand, are being taught the finer points of the game from primary school. There are structures and organised competitions right through the schools system. That is why the Springboks have twice won the Rugby World Cup. The Springbok team may have 15 black players for all I care, as long as they have been chosen on merit.

There is no place for racism in sport and that is exactly what the proposed quota system is!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Good morning to you Dave,
    My comment was more "tongue in cheek" I do not particularly care about soccer but I am a rugby supporter and in fact provincially support "The Sharks" although I live in Mpumalanga. I have a vague recollection of a person called Neil Tovey, Eric Tinkler etc. They won the African Cup that year

Thanks
    If they do introduce quotas all the really good whitey rugby players will become mercenaries and play for other countries and if they have not played for SA they can become citizens of their chosen countries and play for them.
    Of course sponsorship will disappear and we will all watch satellite broadcasts of the 'Heineken Cup' and the 'Super 10' as played between Australia and New Zealand.

Perhaps some enterprising individual will start the 'Botswana Rugby leauge' populated entirely by expat 'Saffers'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think Blurock's post above strikes to the truth here - it's the quality of programs at the primary and high school level that really matter, whether in-school itself or via excellence programs working in conjunction with the schools. It really makes a huge difference.

And if the politicians don't like what they're seeing at the national level, it's at the schools where they need to start putting in the effort to turn things around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think Blurock's post above strikes to the truth here - it's the quality of programs at the primary and high school level that really matter, whether in-school itself or via excellence programs working in conjunction with the schools. It really makes a huge difference.

And if the politicians don't like what they're seeing at the national level, it's at the schools where they need to start putting in the effort to turn things around.
    So where are all the promised development funds for this as guaranteed by FIFA when they were here scamming us in 2010?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    So where are all the promised development funds for this as guaranteed by FIFA when they were here scamming us in 2010?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmwx3.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	4818

Sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
    Lets go a step further, where is the development of athletes for the upcoming Olympics?

We will probably hear the quadannual bleat about too many whiteys in the squad and the reason they will be there is that they sought sponsorship and spent their own money on training and development instead of waiting for 'Gubbermunt'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12