Thread: Income Statement or Balance Sheet

Thanks

Income Statement or Balance Sheet

Hi!

I am busy processing auditor journals and see that I have to create some new GL accounts..
    I have never worked with Fair Value & Fair Value Adjustments before. So my question is:

Are these Income Statement or Balance Sheet items and how would I classify them? (ie. Income Statement - Other Income or Expenses / Balance Sheet - Fixed Assets or Current Assets)

Thank you

Thanks
    Could be both, but usually balance sheet adjustments assets/stocks and non distributable reserves - but if you are asking this question then it means you need a serious accounting lesson which I dont think the forum here would be the right place to teach you.

I would advise waiting for the auditors to see what it is they they require adjusting if you are not sure.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Fair value adjustments affect both balance sheet and income statement.

I would advise that with regards to the balance sheet, you create an account that is a sub-account of the assets being being adjusted.

The debit goes to an expense account (whether you classify it as a normal expense or other expense is immaterial). No need to create separate accounts for each adjustment, just name it Fair value adjustment or IFRS adjustment account.

4. Thanks given for this post:

OdetteBK (12-Jun-14)

Thanks
    Thank you Clive. I really appreciate your advice & assistance.

@ Marq - 1. "I would advise waiting for the auditors to see what it is they they require adjusting if you are not sure." - I apologise for not being clear in my post about the fact that I was working with yearend adjusting journals provided to me by the auditors with the instruction to process same. 2. I apologise that my post came across as looking for a serious accounting lesson, after viewing many other posts I was under the impression this was a forum to share information & knowledge. "I have never worked with Fair Value & Fair Value Adjustments before" - 20 years of Bookkeeping I have never had to work with Fair Value before. I am currently studying Technical Financial Accounting through the ICB, maybe Fair Value will still be coming up in my syllabus...