Thread: Over Readings Of Electricity and Water Meters By Local Council

Thanks

Over Readings Of Electricity and Water Meters By Local Council

Has anyone experienced over reading of their water and/or electricity meters by a local council?
    http://www.facebook.com/polokwanemuncomplaints.

Thanks
    Well the only problem I have with estimated interim accounts and then a reading every 3 to 6 months for my water is that they lump the reading as one then only subtract one months free water and charge you for the rest and you miss out on 2 to 5 free water allocations,

Although interim electricity readings don't affect me because I am on pay as you go, others have complained that they are being shortchanged with the escalating usage factor as they are entitled to the first so many KW at one rate then as usage rises the difference is charged at rising figures, but this is omitted on the reading month and they are charged a lump sum for the balance without consideration the escalating figure.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All about maximizing income for the municipalities, to fund their extravagance.
    CityPower has announced an increase of 8% across the board,including electricity water and rates and taxes and refuse, what ever they charge on their bills.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Often this happens if meters are not accessible from the outside.
    Where I had constant estimates I even managed to make them move meters from the inside to the outside. Not easy, but persistance pays.

Estimates should correct itself with next actual reading incl the allocation of free units and under consideration of different price brackets.
    In Cape Town one can communicate (call/sms/website) readings withing 24h of reading day and it will override their estimate. If they do not leave a card on reading say one can call council in advance and find out their reading day.

Of course not all worlks like that, but at least that is the theory.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    In Cape Town one can communicate (call/sms/website) readings withing 24h of reading day and it will override their estimate. If they do not leave a card on reading say one can call council in advance and find out their reading day.
    Of course WP is a foreign land to the rest of us, service delivery, MMMMMPH!!!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Placing meters on the outside of the property brings other problems.
    Criminals simply open the box and switch your mains off and wait outside.
    If no one comes out to switch the power back on, they know you not home, and break in. If you come out, they assault you with a gun, and get into your property and clean you out.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There have been cases where thieves have posed as official meter readers, and when the maids open the doors, they get assaulted and the contents of the home ransacked.

Thanks
    The moving meters to outside story was for water meters and is hard work to get there. I only managed to do that as I do not take no for an answer and they ran out of excuses. The council here in Cape Town is driving me nuts regularly, but I have no idea how its like elsewhere. Since I manage a lot of properties I have to deal with council very often.

The trick of posing as meter readers, cops etc can happen at any time. That is why nobody should let anybody unexpected in without verifying their identity.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager