Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implications of using another companies Vat number

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    You know, SARS still has the voluntary disclosure program running - no penalties and no interest if you come clean (and pay up the actual tax owed to SARS). Approaching SARS might well be the way to go for a fairly clean exit from a messy situation.
    Excellent advice and almost certainly the way to go. It's going to look suspicious ("I didn't know that I couldn't use someone else's VAT number ... honest!") but I don't see any other viable alternative. With a bit of luck, penalties may be waived or (at the very least) reduced (especially if the VAT portion is relatively negligible).

Retaining the client may be the trickier challenge. I guess you have to choose between coming clean and trying to build a relationship on trust (and risk losing the client) or keeping quiet about the whole thing and settling for a relationship that will always be on thin ice (and hoping they never find out).

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The worst part here is that the client is seen to be negligent here by SARS, cos they never requested a copy of the VAT Tax certificate, nor did the client do a verification of the VAT number before claiming the input VAT.

How many of us actually request a copy of the VAT certificate from our supplier and verify that it is correct before claiming the VAT from the invoice?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    So I phoned Sars:

The lady first suggested that it should just be done on the his new Vat number backdating.

But I reminded her the vat number on the Invoice is not going match his new Vat number.

The end result "It's complicated come into a branch"

If the vat is paid on the old number the Company name on the Vat Invoice doesn't match. On the new number the Vat number wont match.

What a mess!!

Ill check out the voluntary disclosure thanks Dave...

Hopefully it can be paid and solved soon.Calculate input output Vat owed,fill in the forms and pay..

For completion's sake I will update what the verdict is after visiting the branch.

Thank you for all the help!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe issue a credit note with the old VAT number, and issue a new invoice with the new VAT number. Provide copy of VAT registration form with new VAT number to client for their records.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1 View Post
    So I phoned Sars:

The lady first suggested that it should just be done on the his new Vat number backdating.

But I reminded her the vat number on the Invoice is not going match his new Vat number.

The end result "It's complicated come into a branch"

If the vat is paid on the old number the Company name on the Vat Invoice doesn't match. On the new number the Vat number wont match.

What a mess!!

Ill check out the voluntary disclosure thanks Dave...

Hopefully it can be paid and solved soon.Calculate input output Vat owed,fill in the forms and pay..

For completion's sake I will update what the verdict is after visiting the branch.

Thank you for all the help!

Why are you doing all this ac1 ? Why don't you let that person do it ?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Justloadit yes I think that is a good Idea, I think this is what SARS is going to require at the end as well.

The guy is a bit scared of doing this because he knows there is a almost 90% chance that he will loose this client if he does this.

But yes he made his bed.

HRS its my friend's husband I feel bad for him, I use to do accounting and volunteered to help.

I know he worked so hard the last year to build his business physically, although he has seriously neglected the accounting and tax side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12