Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Implications of using another companies Vat number

Email problem
    Thanks

Implications of using another companies Vat number

I was wondering if anyone knows what the implications are and how to correct the error?

This person (owner of the company) used a previous company (that he use to be a part of) vat number to levy Output Vat. He did this because his company was new and was not registered for vat yet, and the client only deals with companies that can give a vat number.

He didn't understand that this actually has implications...

He is now aware and want to correct this error.

So he basically levied Vat without being registered using a former companies Vat number.

(He is still not registered for Vat due to the book keeper being super slow.)

Will he have to pay back the vat levied to the client? (He will loose the client)

Or will he have to pay it over to SARS when he gets his own Vat number (and then do Vat retrospectively)?

Or will he maybe just be penalized?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just phone SARS and ask them., they are actually most helpful.

3. Thanks given for this post:

ac1 (06-May-14)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes they are very helpfull. I doubt very much that he would be able to keep money that he has received and should not have received. Ie the vat levied on every invoice.

5. Thanks given for this post:

ac1 (06-May-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I doubt very much that he would be able to keep money that he has received and should not have received. Ie the vat levied on every invoice.
    Actually, that raises a good question. When he cooked up this stunt, how did he intend to account for and pay the money collected over to SARS?

7. Thanks given for this post:

ac1 (06-May-14)

Thanks
    Using another company's VAT number to feign market credibility isn't an "error", it's fraud. The only way to sort out this mess is to come clean with SARS and pay the inevitable penalties (there is no way they are going to believe that a company owner didn't know that you can't use another company's VAT number). There is a very good chance that the client will find out somewhere along the line (even if it is only when their supplier starts invoicing with a different VAT number), so that relationship is definitely in jeopardy.

Why didn't this oke just partner with another VAT-registered supplier temporarily? He could have maintained the client relationship while his partner handled supply and invoicing until his company was VAT registered.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

9. Thanks given for this post:

ac1 (06-May-14)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for all the responses.

Yes I guess phoning Sars is going to be the only way at the end.

Dave I don''t think he even thought about it.He has no Idea how Vat or accounting works.He just focuses on doing the physical work.

Yes Greig you are right wen he gets his own Vat Vat number the client is going to raise questions,and this is his only client without this client he will have to close down.

I was wondering about what you said about partnering up with a Vat registered supplier temporarily?

The company's who's Vat number he used is his parents company.He went off on his own (new company) due to the usual family and business issues.

But they would obviously help him if they can with a Joint venture/Partnership arrangement to sort out the Vat problem.

I have also thought about it before but couldn't figure out how it would work?

Lets say "he did partner up with them" so now the Vat will then be done under that number (along with that companies Vat)?

And the income tax will still be done normally under the new company.

Then they will just get a penalty for being like 9 months late with this Vat..

Maybe it's too late now, he should have done it from the start.

I seems no matter what route, the end result is going to be the same, the vat is going to have to be paid over and their will be penalties, irrelevant under what number.

Hopefully everything will work out.
    Thank you all for the help!

Suspended
    Thanks
    ac1 Even if he is using his parents vat number - he still has to pay the vat over, so he is committing fraud ! He cannot charge vat, use someone else's number and then still keep the money. It is fraud, theft and a whole lot of other offences that SARS will come up with !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1 View Post
    Dave I don''t think he even thought about it.He has no Idea how Vat or accounting works.He just focuses on doing the physical work.
    Angazi and Weet Nie can be very, very expensive employees.

They also tend to cover up for wilful mischief too
    (and the fact that the sole client views VAT registration as critical doesn't help dissipate my cynicism much either.)

With that out of the way - the big question is once in the cart, how can you get out of it?

You know, SARS still has the voluntary disclosure program running - no penalties and no interest if you come clean (and pay up the actual tax owed to SARS). Approaching SARS might well be the way to go for a fairly clean exit from a messy situation.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Greig Whitton (07-May-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    How much money did he invoice and what did he do with the vat payments that he received?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    All that you need to do is use the date of the first problem invoice as the date of liability on the VAT201.

It will of course result in late submission penalties, but will avoid other nasty consequences. Anyway, it's what I have done more than once in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast