Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Time? Read This!

Thanks

Hard Time? Read This!

The title probably caught everyone's attention. Failure can be very, very scary. But there are ways in which it can be done rightly and many public figures can show you how!

1. Steve Jobs
    Jobs had a setback from Apple before he became such a big figure. He didn't use this as an excuse, he got up and was able to make things become revolutionary later on. He knew that holding on just a little while longer can yield great results.

2. Oprah Winfrey
    Opran Winfrey also experienced a setback when she was younger. Did that stop her? No, in fact, she launched a very successful TV show! Just like Steve, Oprah took her life in stride and used it to come out on top.

3. JT Foxx
    JT Foxx built his own company from the bottom up and even learned the ropes from other business owners. He didn't give up when success took time, he made himself a success. Just like the others, he did what it took to succeed.

These business people have shown you how you CAN get through hard times and how your business can come out on TOP!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that the number of business failures massively outnumber those that succeed...

I wonder what percentage of all business failures result in a successful comeback story?

3. Thanks given for this post:

BernieDew (20-May-15)

Thanks
    Good point Dave...I think it depends. Definitely don't know that off the top of my head

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Given that the number of business failures massively outnumber those that succeed...

I wonder what percentage of all business failures result in a successful comeback story?
    One can compare it to any sport I suppose, how many Number of 1st,2nd and 3rd place competitors are there, as compared to the number of participants at each event/race
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The right frame of mind...it is that simple.

You can buy books, watch DVD's, youtube, you name it there many stories to be told about how to succeed in business, but nobody tells you the most import fact.

I am not saying it is the only thing but the most important, if you have the right frame of mind nothing will stand in your way.

We all know that huge contracts, cash flow, goals, a healthy trust fund, and sometimes even a business plan can assist you in your quest.

I am talking small companies, not multi million rand corporations.

Thanks
    I know JT Foxx and have seen him a few times live, who else does know him? I dont think he is anywhere near in the same league as Steve or even Oprah who I have never seen live in front of me. There are huge differences. Steven and Oprah are also succesfull since many many years. JT still has to prove that long term success.

I think the most important thing is the WHY, not the WHAT and the HOW. Why would want to start a certain business. I guess some call it mindset too.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You should read a book called:

Everything is obvious*

* Once you know the answers.

How common sense fails.

By Duncan J. Watts.

From Exclusive Books

The book is brilliant and part of it is devoted to the idea of success and how our common sense of cause and effect is totally off the mark. He shows how we attribute success and failure by applying all sorts of attributes after the fact. Just like how economist have a 50/50 hit rate on their predictions but are "able" to concoct reasons for whatever happened.

The book will make you reconsider what you think is common sense and how you evaluate cause and effect!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    The book will make you reconsider what you think is common sense and how you evaluate cause and effect!
    It's actually amazing how often what actually works and leads to "success" seems to go against common sense.

One of the turning points in my life was when I really switched onto the pareto principle.

For those don't know this little mind bender, it's an 80-20 ratio rule that seems to approximate real life in many, many ways.

A couple of the applications of the pareto principle in business is that 80% of your profits comes from 20% of your customers, and that 80% of your sales comes from 20% of your products.

Cutting to the chase, the lesson of the principle is "focus on the 20% that most affects your results" and ship as much of the rest of it as you can off your plate.

10. Thanks given for this post:

BernieDew (20-May-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I fully agree. I don't do any adhoc work now. I have amall client base and I am happy to work with them. The problem is that I could spend 5 hours doing a one of job for an adhoc customer or I could spend 5 hours on the development of a product thatI am guaranteed to sell to my select client base. It took me very long to learn this. Oppertunity cost is not calculated based on immediate profitability per hour, but rather on the long term value of the time spent. I still have one or two regular clients that need to hit the road because working on the products add no tangible long term value.

12. Thanks given for this post:

BernieDew (20-May-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just dumped my oldest customer ( been servicing the customer for 20 years +)being like a dog to my customers, as loyal as you can get, waiting 6 months for payment from a customer which offers not even 1 % of my annual turnover was just not going happened anymore. 😏
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

14. Thanks given for this post:

BernieDew (20-May-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast