Thread: Standard Bank - Rage thread No. 67,263

Thanks

Standard Bank - Rage thread No. 67,263

I get an sms this morning from Standard Bank........Beneficiary 334555 was deleted on 29/3/14 as it has an invalid beneficiary reference.

Not having done any banking this morning and not a clue which beneficiary this is or why they should be deleting anything on my account....I take the big decision to phone Standard bank.

Spoke to 5 different departments each of whom could not help me and each put me through to another department.
    Eventually returned to the initial message which was........please key in your card number followed by your 5 digit pin....???wtf
    I kid you not. This just after a message comes up while you are waiting that says do not give your pin to anybody and we will never ask you for it.
    A short while later they tell me I seem to be having difficulties with this request so ......goodbye.
    Not ..we will put through to a person that can try and help you, not we actually care about you and all that BS....Just a F*&^ you very much.

15 minutes on the phone to get nowhere.......I would have got further in a government department. I do not understand why Telkom is having financial difficulties when BS Standard Bank and their fellow Corporations are ringing up a big score on your telephone bill everytime you take the huge step to phone one of them with a query.

This phone a help desk story for Standard Bank is getting worse - they might as well let their chinese shareholders take over the help desk where I can get sorted out by someone in Beijing.

Just my morning rant - trying to get it out rather than doing road rage.....Nope - dont feel any better - Think I'll do some MMA stuff this afternoon.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Dave - What about a section all on its own - Rant and Rage Category
    List the threads by Company and then you can do a hello peter by charging the companies a fee to offer an excuse.
    Hey I have so many on my shit list at this stage maybe I should start a new site........mmmmmmm........SAFloorem.

Thanks
    I use FNB and their call centre is just as useless to sort out my problems I email RBJacobs the social media team and they get the right people to phone me. What is the equivalent team in Standard Bank? Also write on the Facebook page.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Methinks this was a Phishing message - Card Number / Pin combo is dead giveaway.

THAT is why Bank knew nothing...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cooper View Post
    Methinks this was a Phishing message - Card Number / Pin combo is dead giveaway.

Nope, as I read it, it was on the same call to STB.
    Spoke to 5 different departments each of whom could not help me and each put me through to another department.
    Eventually returned to the initial message which was........please key in your card number followed by your 5 digit pin....???wtf
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was my first thought.

Well, in my opinion, one would have thought the call centre staff might just have recognised the possibility too - and have a plan in place for when the call (inevitably) comes.

There's no doubt phishing is happening via SMS too nowadays. Here's one I got on Wednesday:

Dear Client. Please urgently call the Standard Bank Debit Card Fraud Division on 0102490070 Option 2 and quote the following reference number 3672789
    Absolutely no doubt it's a phishing scam. Apart from the 010 telephone number, whenever Standard Bank has a query about a transaction on any of my accounts, they call me. They certainly do not send an SMS about it.

My wife got one last week which nearly had her - allegedly from Liberty Life advising her that a debit order of over R2k a month for a policy had been loaded against her account, and if she had any queries to call a given number, and make sure she had her bank account and card number handy if she called...

No guessing where that one was going.

Thanks
    I called the Standard Bank help desk number three times and went through the same telephone choose a number system - I chose different options and invariably came up with the same request for card and pin number.

This is Standard Banks centralised telephone system and all staff seem to have been directed to use the same system. If you want to contact to your local branch, you also go through a centralised system where they will either put you through if you know who you want to speak to or they will take a message, which means you never get a return call.

The system is designed to make you hang on forever, while you listen to the latest marketing blurb, words that tell you how important you are to someone somewhere and an endless choice of departments which I have discovered you have about a 20% chance of selecting the correct one. Then picture a phone jockey in a call centre with one of those headsets on where the mic section is hanging around their chest somewhere, so you are unable to hear what they are saying. Their name comes out so fast in low volume mode that, if you are interested, will have to ask then to repeat slowly. You tell them your problem and after a delay they will tell you that you are through to the wrong department.

I now have this picture in mind of a huge building with about 100 call centre setups, with one phone jockey on each floor representing a portion of a department. They have this system which then redirects calls around to each call centre lighting up many buttons which makes them appear busy. Effectively your one call in, produces on average 5 calls to their records and has taken you about 15 minutes to get either annoyed or cut off, which happens when one of these jockeys gets more than 5 calls lined up in a row.
    They will then ask you for 'some security check information', which consists of 100 questions going down to infinite detail, which after a while you realise is just their way of collecting data. They will do this with every call even if you phone in 10 times in a row and will cut you off in an instant should your not comply or play this game.

They also have a PM type system via your internet log in. This produces a report by branch which is sent through to some local lackeys desk each morning. I have tried this a few times and have even seen the reports with my message on which has been 'cleared' by 'someone' which means dealt with. Probably get about a 30% return call and thats after posting the same message in Capitals about 5 times - this seems to get someone's attention there.

One can try their facebook - but your message is just deleted and ignored.
    You could try hellopeter but that is just used as a complaints helpdesk database where they can monitor general trends of complaints but nothing is done about the complaint. Of course you are offered the usual platitude message of concern just to appear as though they really care.

Or you can try the ultimate message delivery tool which is where you march into the branch itself, find the person responsible, download a years worth of frustrations and leave knowing that they will do nothing but at least you feel better for the moment.

Thanks
    Standard Bank's centralised phone-in system is useless! Period!
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Dave - What about a section all on its own - Rant and Rage Category
    Call it "Yo Dave!" so's Peter cant get mad.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256