Thread: ANC disputes DA victory 2018

Thanks

ANC disputes DA victory 2018

Ask yourself this...If the ANC ever loses an election...will they willingly give up power? I have a strong suspicion that they might not.

Speculatively...if the DA strikes a long term deal with the west (who is negatively affected by ANC (SA) partnership with China) then I see no reason why the West would not support the DA. This is if the US has any will for a strong SA, which it may not. The West could say to the ANC, well boet you lost, we will support your opposition or you listen to us and not China.

The US seems to prefer a weak SA, but since China has become this monster they might prefer a strong SA under DA rule.

The West could regain the continent if they have a strong Ally in South Africa. I think we would gain by becoming more allied to the west in general, producing for them, which they will be needing if they ever want to stop being China’s bitch.

I don’t want any country to be my boss, but that’s the reality, we are to a large degree controlled by the superpowers. Under this reality I feel we will fare better under Western partnership (Obviously under DA rule).

Whilst the ANC rules we will have to try exploit our partnership with China as much as possible.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I don’t want any country to be my boss, but that’s the reality, we are to a large degree controlled by the superpowers.

Politically, I suggest we have plenty of room to play in. No need to align to the East or the West, or even way up North.

When it comes to economics - well, money talks, doesn't it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have always been extremely concerned with the scenario as mentioned by pmbguy.

The longer they remain in power, the more difficult it will be to get them out in the case that they lose.
    There was a recent incident, in Limpopo if I am not mistaken, where the ANC lost the Makhado ward to the DA

Another incident

Tlokwe: Ex-mayor won't vacate office despite court order
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

Politically, I suggest we have plenty of room to play in. No need to align to the East or the West, or even way up North.
    It’s a mistake to think that we are not controlled to a large degree by which ever super power/s we might be aligned to. Alignment with a superpower means we have to play by their rules. We obviously not controlled in all or even most matters of state, but when they say no Dalai Lama it means no Dalai Lama. Our foreign policy has to suit China or we get into trouble.

Whether we want to be aligned or not is not necessarily the question. E.g. If the US decides to push China out of Sub-Saharan Africa as a long term goal and they succeed then our alignment to the West will be forced and we will have to comply, if we don’t comply they can make us comply.

I am not saying we must pander to the wants and needs of the superpowers I am saying that they will force some sort of alignment anyway to meet their wants and needs. If we can see it coming we have a better chance of striking better deals for ourselves.

Look at Tunisia, Libya and Egypt for very recent examples of Western intentions in North Africa. It’s not such a stretch to think they have the rest of Africa and us in their sights. SA is a much larger prize than those 3 countries combined.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    WE do not have a Suez canal, so I think Egypt may have a trump card here.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    WE do not have a Suez canal, so I think Egypt may have a trump card here.
    That’s very true Justloadit. Perhaps then we can say that SA is the second biggest prize in Africa

I also think that North Africa fits in more with the Middle Eastern theatre than the Sub-Saharan one, but it’s still a good example of how aggressive the West is.

Thanks
    Middelburg in Mpumalanga the town in which I live has always been a bastion of right wing conservatives. Nearly all the smaller shops in the central part of town are owned by people from the far east. Whether they are Chinese, Taiwanese or Korean I am not able to say. The fact is that they are here in great numbers and obviously making a good living.

I am inclined to think that China is the new world power whether we like it or not. They are manufacturing under licence for most of Europe and America. You cannot tell the difference with some of these products when you compare them to the originals.

I believe that the big crunch is going to come when the Chinese workers start getting uppity about their remuneration that they receive for their labour. This will happen although it might take some time. When this happens the pawpaw is going to strike the fan and world trade will be in a turmoil- no more cheap Chinese imports.
    Last edited by Butch Hannan; 25-Apr-14 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling

8. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (25-Apr-14)