Hi,

Has anyone opted to have their baby's stem cells stored, for later usage if necessary?

My firstborn has been in and out of hospital a lot in the past two years, due to problems with her right kidney at birth. So now we're considering storing my-soon-to-be-born 2nd daughter's stem cells.
It's going to cost quite a lot to do this and our medical aid doesn't cover it. So, after having spend thousands in the last 2 years on excess payments, which the medical aid doesn't pay (not to mention transport, accommodation and take ways - my wife and daughter often spend 5 to 7 days in hospital!), we're going to have to foot the bill out of our own pockets.

Has anyone done this before? Do you have any feedback, either positive or negative about it? I don't want to mention the company's name who's doing it since there's only a couple of companies doing it and we got a nice deal with them.

But, in general, have you had to use some of the stemcells? Which Doctor's / hospital did you use, and did you run into much trouble, or is it "like it says on the box?"

I know this is still quite new, but I also understand the value behind all of this. I have lost some friends in the past, due to cancer and other serious illnesses. Stemcells can be used to help in cases where compatible bone marrow can't be sourced and can also help with a lot of blood related diseases. So all-in-all it does sound like a good idea. But in this case it's a lot of money to spend.