Thread: Opinions needed on stem cell storage

Thanks

Opinions needed on stem cell storage

Hi,

Has anyone opted to have their baby's stem cells stored, for later usage if necessary?

My firstborn has been in and out of hospital a lot in the past two years, due to problems with her right kidney at birth. So now we're considering storing my-soon-to-be-born 2nd daughter's stem cells.
    It's going to cost quite a lot to do this and our medical aid doesn't cover it. So, after having spend thousands in the last 2 years on excess payments, which the medical aid doesn't pay (not to mention transport, accommodation and take ways - my wife and daughter often spend 5 to 7 days in hospital!), we're going to have to foot the bill out of our own pockets.

Has anyone done this before? Do you have any feedback, either positive or negative about it? I don't want to mention the company's name who's doing it since there's only a couple of companies doing it and we got a nice deal with them.

But, in general, have you had to use some of the stemcells? Which Doctor's / hospital did you use, and did you run into much trouble, or is it "like it says on the box?"

I know this is still quite new, but I also understand the value behind all of this. I have lost some friends in the past, due to cancer and other serious illnesses. Stemcells can be used to help in cases where compatible bone marrow can't be sourced and can also help with a lot of blood related diseases. So all-in-all it does sound like a good idea. But in this case it's a lot of money to spend.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your sick child Rudi I hope thigs get better for all of your family.

I'm completely ignorant of the field of stem cells and their practical uses, how would saving stem cells be of benifit to a kidney patient more than a transplant would be for example?

Thanks
    I am not sure why you would store the second borns stem cells when they will readily available anyway, unless you need a backup plan.

Money is relative to you and the seriousness of the problem at hand, so I dont think that this side of the issue, is for us to really comment on.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (13-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Marq.

Worth reminding you though this is still bleeding edge stuff rather than technology that has stood the test of time.

Thanks
    I thought I'd give some feedback on this matter. We decided to go with Cryo-Save and the whole "package" cost R22,000 (I think). They sent us a sealed box which I had to carry with me the whole time. On the day of birth, the umbilical cord and tissue blood was put in containers in the box, which had some ice-packs which I had to activate when everything was in the box. Their courier picked up the box about 3 hours later and we got a confirmation last week that the tests were good and the stem sells have been stored safely.

My daughter Katryn was born premature and spend 2 weeks in NICU since she was on antibiotics. She's been home for about a week now and doing well.

All in all I think we made a good decision, and hopefully if the stemcells are needed (I hope not...) it would serve a good purpose.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

7. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (16-Apr-14)