Thread: Positioning of Hotwater Cylinders in roofspace

Thanks

Positioning of Hotwater Cylinders in roofspace

I am posting this as i am now a bit sick and tired of plumbers installing their HWC's bang in the middle of the roof space where the electricians are supposed to crawl. It makes the access further into the roof difficult.
    Electricians now have to crawl over the cylinder, or underneath some pipes.
    I think the plumbers should have a rethink with this practice.
    I get the impression that they think the roof space is just for them.
    Some times the element part is in such a position that virtually no maintenance or even checking can be done with out busting your neck.
    Its just plain common sense i thinks.
    Now my rant is now over thankyou

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Even worse is when they replace the geyser, the element faces the small part of the roof space. You have to remove roof tiles to get it out. One of the reasons i no longer repair geysers
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Likewise,I stay away from H.W.C. I have had to replacing ceiling boards and corroded drip trays, not worth it, customers think you are incompetent, breaking the ceiling to get to the H.W.C.when the plumber always climbs into the ceiling to work on the H.W.C. replacing a valve etc.

Thanks
    Ideally the cylinder should be placed close enough to the trap door to not restrict access and to allow work on the thermostat/element/pressure control/pressure relief/vacuum breakers etc. while standing on a ladder with only the top half of your torso through the trapdoor.

But it seems it is a standing joke by plumbers that they do everything arse about face, even to mounting urinals so high that you have to pee upwards to get most of your stream inside.

On the other hand most new installations are made before the ceilings are installed and sometimes the carpenter places the trapdoor somewhere else than the position that makes most sense.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the contributing factors is the shallow pitch of roofs nowadays, methinks.

Thanks
    When God was dishing out brains , the Plumbers certainly werent first in the queue.
    Please this is a joke, please dont take me seriously.
    I think the plumbing compliance certificate should also mention that a HWC should be installed in such a position that it doesnt hinder other services from being done.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    tunny enough i did a geyser on saturday where, as you said, the electrics were up against the roof tiles. Getting to it was are major endeavour and i had to close the trap door to have somewhere put my feet.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.