Thread: Scrap DSTV Anyone?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Scrap DSTV Anyone?

I've just seen this: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadc...creases-2.html

To me, I'm starting to think DSTV isn't good enough and becoming way too expensive. I'm already only using it to see sports, the programming is always (at least) a year behind what I can get from streaming sites - and no, the cheapie options are not showing the sports I want to see (I've checked and been very irritated by them). And now the cost seems to equal my monthly internet anyway - so costwise it's starting to make sense to just discontinue my subscriptions. Can get most overseas sports through streaming sites, but local is a bit of a pain.

I'm starting to think it might be time to go watch sport at the local pub, they generally allow various channels on different areas. Except of course if there's a big game on - which I then want to check myself anyway. Perhaps the "cost" of going to the pub's going to eat into my budget though. Will have to think about it a bit I guess.

AFAICT "Single"Choice is going to see the same problems as many similar companies have already gone through overseas. If you can't compete against the price and quality of what's available on a web page, you're out of business pretty soon. Especially if the latest stuff in the news is going to happen - i.e. cheaper and faster ISP connections across SA. If I were them, I'd be going to court just as Vodacom/MTN is in order to try and stop the government from taking away their gravy train.

Anyone got any other ideas? Some way to get local sport through something cheaper than DSTV's offerings?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

2. Thanks given for this post:

newBix (04-Mar-14)