Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap DSTV Anyone?

Thanks
    All Telkom has to do is say hey “for R700 a month you get access to stream all the rugby and cricket AND get uncap ADSL with a 4mb line” and DSTV is gone as in bye bye
    love Life + take care of your body

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Seems someone had the same idea, and it looks as if it's really now a very close tie between DSTV/ADSL: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadb...-compared.html

I think DSTV needs to get their act together pretty soon: provide a service which can at least be comparable to legal internet video at similar or better pricing. Else they'd have no future.
    I see if you Google there is a lot of free live streaming for local sports why not give them ago and tell us what you found. If they are usable or not? Tell us so that we can make a choice between DSTV or a 4mb line.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newBix View Post
    I see if you Google there is a lot of free live streaming for local sports why not give them ago and tell us what you found. If they are usable or not? Tell us so that we can make a choice between DSTV or a 4mb line.
    You're absolutely correct! DSTV has it's own online supersport streeming if you use your own DSTV account to log in. But why should you need to?

Especially since you can view SkySport (BBC competition) for free, which "would have" been showing the cricket today if it wasn't raining: http://www.time4tv.com/2011/09/sky-sports-2.php
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

4. Thanks given for this post:

newBix (05-Mar-14)

Thanks
    On the company's fibre line it's simply perfect. And I tried that site through my cell phone. Looks reasonable even on the 3G connection, so an ADSL might just be good enough. So yep - that means I don't even need to pay over and above the connection fee, which means to me at least DSTV is now a distant bad memory ... if I can cancel my sub of course!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    I cancelled DSTV in December and signed up for Netflix. Then I also reactivated the R29 option on the decoder and there was cricket on SABC
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I didn't have any problem cancelling my DSTV account, I just phoned them and told them to do it immediately. The guy on the phone warned me it might be a bad idea because there would be a reconnection fee if I changed my mind, I just laughed and said that would just be one more reason they wouldn't hear from me again.

Thanks
    DSTV's obvious response: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadc...ltichoice.html

My view on this: Sure piracy should not be a comparison to DSTV's "service". Legitimate online viewing should, so "piracy" shouldn't even be a consideration from the concerns of customers, neither should DSTV even have to raise the point (certainly not focussing on it through most of their response). So disregarding the statements about illegal viewing let's focus on this statement instead (the only one which mentions legal online viewing):
    “Whether consuming legal or illegal Internet sourced content, the size of the offering does not compare with the length and breadth of the DStv Premium offering, as is suggested,”
    Appart from my mini-gag as I read it, here's what I've found personally to void that statement in its entirety:

1. Size: Most of these streaming sites use very well compressed video formats (like Theora / H265 instead of the 20 year old inefficient codecs used in DSTV's offering and on discs). Meaning instead of the normal ~25GB of a full HD 90min movie the actual download would be around 2 to 4GB at the same visual fidelity. In fact DSTV's own online video uses these same newer codecs to reduce bandwidth cost. That is if you look for full HD (1020P) content which DSTV doesn't even offer. Only a handfull of their channels offer 720p, the rest goes even as low as VHS quality - in these cases the movie is below 1GB (for 720p) and even around 500MB on DVD quality (480p), and for most around 200MB for VHS/old-TV quality. So the size isn't as great an issue as they're trying to make it out to be, especially not if they're referring to similar quality to their own broadcasts.
    2. Size (alternative meaning) of offering: There is literally 100's of TIMES more variance in the programs / movies / shows available on these sites than ALL of DSTV's entire "breadth" of channels available. Even if disregarding the quality (note not visual but actual content) of the programs, DSTV's at best only showing a fraction of 1% of all that's available. So in this sense of the "size" concern DSTV doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    3. If the actual quality of the content is added to this, then DSTV's offerings are even worse off. They constantly repeat shows from several years ago - meaning rehashed cheap unwanted programs make up the majority of their channels' content. Nearly all online streaming sites allow views outside of fixed program times, so people can view any one of their shows at any time of their choosing, as many times as they might wish to do so - AND ARE NOT FORCED to re-watch something which they've already seen. Also since online means you can pick-n-choose by show (or even by episode) they have a much clearer understanding of the real "rating" and can thus cancel something which hasn't had any views in the last month. DSTV (at best) needs to do surveys to even get an inkling of what people don't want to watch.
    4. Lengh/breadth: does this refer to the number of channels they have? If so, they can throw away 95% of all their channels, I only see them when I skip between the channels with something watch-able on (if I don't remember to directly type in the ch# on the remote instead). Online is simply centuries ahead on this score, you can see it as having 1 channel for each show ever made in the history of television and movies. So that would be DSTV's 100's as compared to online's uncountable.
    5. The "boxoffice" items from DSTV is probably the closest they come to the actual quality of online sites. Though even here they tend to be several months behind on the availability from what's available on the online sites. In general the online sites have a movie available between 1 and 2 months after the first cinema premier overseas, which means in a lot of the cases it's available during (if not before) NuMetro/SterKinekor shows the movie here - let alone DSTV.

Another issue:
    The resulting quality of Internet-sourced content also isn’t comparable today in the SA market, MultiChoice said, due to poor Internet speeds and congestion.
    Yes, I can say that they may have a point here ... that is if comparing Live TV streaming. In which case it's similar to when their dish doesn't make proper connection to the satellite (e.g. during thunderstorms) - you end up with frozen picture for a few moments and/or pixelation of the image. Though here (in JHB) I've found that even using my 3G cell phone I get these only very seldom, and apparently Telkom is in the process of rolling out at least 3G to all exchanges in lieu of fast ADSL cables.

In most cases it doesn't even matter as the viewing can be buffered. Think of it as similar to PVR: it downloads the program to a temporary storage on your viewing equipment and you can then play this back as a smooth running video without any glitches. This is impossible on DSTV, even their pay-per view box-office stuff suffer from the same glitches when their connection is compromised - no such buffering mechanism is built into their decoders, not even during the use of the PVR feature on the decoder.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (08-Mar-14)

Thanks
    This is one of those deals... Pay us get something to watch or don’t pay us and get nothing to watch. Internet in South Africa is slow and expensive by first world standards. But they rake in massive profits and don’t upgrade so not only do we have a poor infrastructure it is overpopulated with users each paying trough there ass to be connected.

I don’t consider internet as a good way to watch movies series and sport partly because it takes forever to get the content especially on sub 1mb lines and 3G being so crappy. I would rather buy A series and pay the R1000 for it then having to pay R700 a month and then get to watch 4 episodes and being bombarded with advertisement.

Getting movies for R49 is a lot cheaper then killing your cap that cost you R450 a month. Also you get high quality and if the movie sucked you get a shiny frisbee...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You just need the right friends, with a server room and uncapped etc and 2 x 1 TB hard drives which you rotate.This way you get the latest series directly from the source.

Thanks
    I understand if you've got a slow and/or expensive ISP, but it's getting to the point where the cost of DSTV equals that of UN-capped 4MB/s ADSL with Telkom themselves, not even the special cheap deals from some others. That's why I started this thread.

Well, I checked yesterday through one of these ... the first such shown on a google search (from literally 1000000's). At home through my cell phone (on 3G - and I'm in JHB north) using my media centre (they've even go a connection for XBMC so I don't need to watch it through a web page) there were absolutely no glitches. Watched Arrow season 2 episode 15, first aired on 5th - Wednesday in USA: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3337658/?ref_=tt_ep_ep6

It was playing at 720p (same as DSTV's "HD" channels) without any issues. I checked my data on that, after the 42 minutes I've used only 300MB - so it was even less data than I at first thought.

What I did find is that it starts a bit slow - a loading... message displays for about 10 sec and then the thing just simply plays as if it was actually on my hard-drive. Next time I'll run a screen recorder and set it on YouTube so I can show you just how impressive it looks.

If you do this per episode, then the general cost is around US$3 for full HD 1020p (better than DSTV's best channel) or $2 for half HD. And this from Amazon, which is arguably not the cheapest. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...t-video&sr=1-1

They've also got deals where you get the full season (once it completes). E.g. the entite How I met Your Mother season 10 (last year's) for $40 full HD & $30 half HD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&redirect=true That would be about 1/2 of the cost you mention of R1000. And if you've got uncapped, then it means you're not paying any extra, no matter how many of these you get.

Obviously, if you're willing to go with piracy, that's your choice. Same as it would be your choice to shoplift. No-one's telling you you must do so. I try to keep as legit as I possibly can, and with most of these sites it's not much more than doing torrents in any case - you wont save that much and have lots of aggravation because the file might be in some format your player can't handle, or not as good as it should be (e.g. cam recordings from within a cinema), lots of extra steps you need to go through just so you can finally watch the damned thing. No, for me, I'll pay the subs fees and have something I can simply point my remote at, click once, and sit back to relax & watch - but never again through DSTV thank you very much.

13. Thanks given for this post:

newBix (07-Mar-14)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast