Thread: Opportunity for the right person

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Opportunity for the right person

Just in case anyone here misses the ad - an opportunity for the right person - Wanted: Installation Electrician - Durban.

Thanks
    What salary do you have in mind Dave? Can relocation costs from Cape Town be negotiated? After last week I'm seriously thinking about taking the easy route out and calling it quits as an employer .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To give some idea - Salary of R20k per month + some perks + profit share is my current spend. But there's plenty of room to play with.

As it's a key position post, the final package (and relocation costs if it came to that) is very much dependant on the calibre of the applicant.
    Last edited by Dave A; 03-Mar-14 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The way the internet has changed society never ceases to amaze me.

At about 8.30 a.m. yesterday or thereabouts I announced the vacancy for a qualified wireman.
    And not knowing what the market place might be like, I was quietly wondering if I'd get any worthy responses at all.

In days of yore it would take at least 24 hours (more often than not 48 hours and more) to get an idea as to the answer.
    By 3.30 p.m. yesterday, a mere 7 hours later, it was already clear that the mission wasn't going to be to find a suitable applicant - it's going to be picking the right one (or two ) that is going to be the right fit.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's probably a combination of internet and the poor economic climate. There's a lot of good, capable and hard working tradesmen (and women) out there who fall flat when it comes to business acumen and ability. Most of these guys made a half decent living before the recession hit but I think a lot of them who were not so competant businessmen have struggled in more recent times now there's more competition for less work.

Every cloud has a silver lining and I'm guessing your abundance of suitable applicants is it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    What salary do you have in mind Dave? Can relocation costs from Cape Town be negotiated?
    I'm guessing you had someone in mind when you asked the above. I've got two applicants out of the Western Cape, one of them looking very promising.

If you had a hand in that, Andy - my sincere thanks.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This ad got me thinking... it could also open a whole new list of opportunities because as I am a master electrician with years of experience from house wiring to huge industrial plant installations like Alusaf Hillside smelter Richards bay...big commercial installations like the Chatsworth centre, the wheel, reserve bank just mention a few. We wont even go into all the equipment, like fluke 435 PQA, Ti20, 1653 and many others just being wasted because I don't have the manpower to cover the entire scope...sounds like a CV

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm guessing you had someone in mind when you asked the above. I've got two applicants out of the Western Cape, one of them looking very promising.

If you had a hand in that, Andy - my sincere thanks.
    Lol, I can't take credit for anything unfortunately, it was a semi toungue-in-cheek remark (hence the smiley) because after my uphill week with the usually staff issues, vehicle issues and stock taking etc I was insinuating I might just throw in the towel and work for you instead It was probably your reply that encouraged the CT applicants to throw their hats in the ring.

Glad it worked out well though, it's alwas a far less stressful process to choose an applicant when your in a target rich environment.

Suspended
    Thanks
    By 3.30 p.m. yesterday, a mere 7 hours later, it was already clear that the mission wasn't going to be to find a suitable applicant - it's going to be picking the right one (or two ) that is going to be the right fit.
    And that is why companies use the services of Recruitment Agencies such as ourselves - Our job is not to just place a person with you - our job is to sift thro the hundreds of CV's, narrow the options down, interview the candidates and finally supply you with approx. 5 GOOD CV's for you to interview. This saves you hours of your time (Work out how much you charge per hour and how much you could have made in the same time and you would then avoid all the frustration.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    it was a semi toungue-in-cheek remark (hence the smiley) because after my uphill week with the usually staff issues, vehicle issues and stock taking etc I was insinuating I might just throw in the towel and work for you instead
    I was pretty confident the chances of snagging you were exceptionally slim
    But I really did appreciate you raising the point - had to slip in a "thank you" for it somehow

Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    And that is why companies use the services of Recruitment Agencies such as ourselves - Our job is not to just place a person with you - our job is to sift thro the hundreds of CV's, narrow the options down, interview the candidates and finally supply you with approx. 5 GOOD CV's for you to interview. This saves you hours of your time (Work out how much you charge per hour and how much you could have made in the same time and you would then avoid all the frustration.
    I hear you. Normally I delegate the task of short listing for exactly the reasons you give.

For a few reasons, not appropriate to this particular quest though, so I knew I'd have to bite the bullet.

Fortunately this particular exercise hasn't been frustrating at all. Quite interesting, actually.

11. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (05-Mar-14)