Thread: Getting back into the game

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Getting back into the game

Hi Folks

I've been absent from TFSA for quite a while - I got out of my former partnership towards the end of 2012 (although only in practice - despite my efforts, CIPC still says I'm a partner) and devoted lots of my time and effort to climbing up the corporate ladder.

Now, I'd like to start doing some work for myself again. Programming in the corporate world is oftentimes interesting, but a lot of the time, it is also limited in scope - the domain really isn't that broad. As such, I want to start doing a bit of freelance work again, and capitalize on the opportunity to play with technologies and/or domains outside of the scope of my normal work. I realize that I can try and find work on freelancing websites and the like, but one has to try and outbid developers from countries where development is a lot cheaper than it is in SA. Instead, I thought that I would try and help the forum, and maybe start making a name for myself in the process - there will always be opportunities to be found locally.

Here's what I propose - let's identify a need shared between forum members (but keep it to something simple that I can implement in my spare-time in a couple of weeks). You come up with ideas, we decide what we want, and I go off and try to write a program to do it. If all is well, and I come up with something worthwhile, I can make it available to forum members - free of charge, and no one who contributes to the idea gets to sell it - you can use it, and you can give it to other people to use. Once we have a couple of ideas, perhaps we can set up a poll to choose the most popular one.

So, what do you say?

Cheers,
    Riaan
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

2. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (24-Feb-14), newBix (26-Feb-14)