Remember all the fuss about getting your manual to the Human Rights Commission and then being told you don't have to? Well, here's one company that forgot completely. This is from a letter sent to Macro today:

"23 July 2007

The Directors
Masstores (Pty) Ltd
t/a Makro
Private Bag X4
Sandton

per fax: 011 807 10 49

Dear Sirs / Ladies

P A I A Manual: Masstores (Pty) Ltd

I refer you to the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (as amended).

Your company is a “private body” as defined in the Act. In terms of Section 51(1) of the Act, you are obliged to “compile a manual”, commonly referred to as a P A I A Manual. Such manual must be made available as prescribed (Section 51(3) of the Act).

Item 9(1)(c) of the Regulations to the Act (as published in Government Notice No. R.187 dated 15th February 2002) provides that such manual must be made available on the website of the private body.

Your website is ostensibly at the domain name www.macro.co.za. This website does not have your manual nor does it have a link or reference to such manual.

Section 90 (3) of the Act makes it an offence for the head of a “private body” who fails to comply with Section 51 of the Act.

I require certain information from your company for the exercise or protection of my right(s) and your company is obliged to provide such information. (Section 50(1)).

I require you to:

1. Provide me with a copy of your P A I A Manual and the request for information form to my e mail address;

2. Advise me why your P A I A Manual is not available on your website;

3. Provide me with reasons why I should not report your contravention of the Act to the Human Rights Commission and / or any other applicable authorities;

Yours faithfully,"

Sieg