Thread: Exporting and Importing Inventory Master File in Pastel

Email problem
    Thanks

Exporting and Importing Inventory Master File in Pastel

We have about 5000 inventory codes, which have been setup over the years at random by different people. I want to correct mistakes in Groups setup, as well as get consistency in the naming formats.

I have tried to export the master file to a text file, but the file has no data in after the export (both as .txt and .csv)

Any ideas as to why I can not export the file?

Also, is it possible to correct the fields and simply import it back into Pastel?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks
    Hi Herman,

That is strange that you are unable to export the inventory masterfile. I do it for my clients quite regularly, and I don't have any issues. Perhaps there is some data corruption? If you want, you are welcome to send me a backup of your database so that I can check it out.

Even if you can export the masterfile, there are certain fields, including the inventory codes and the group codes, that will not update when you import the file back into Pastel. This is because these fields integrate with other data tables in the database. If you want to change any inventory codes, and you are using Partner (not Xpress), then you can use the Change...Renumber Codes option to do so. With respect to changing Inventory Group allocations, you will need to do them for each inventory record, one at a time.

Due to the large number of inventory items that you have, perhaps you should consider starting an entire new company and take on opening balances, after importing the cleaned up masterfiles for customers, suppliers and inventory.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

3. Thanks given for this post:

HermanS (20-Feb-14)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Neville,

Thank you for your assistance. I think you are right, it may be less tedious to start a new company with take on balances.

We are a very seasonal business, and use new stock codes for most finished goods at the start of every season. Due to this we have a lot of redundant items - I wanted to block those, and put them in a "Discontinued" group (in order to retain the history should anyone need it). I see I can not block them, as they are part of a "bill of material".

Now for the stupid question: How do I send you a backup of my database (I assume inventory only)?

Regards,
    Herman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanS View Post
    How do I send you a backup of my database (I assume inventory only)?
    I will need a backup of your entire database.

To do that, open the company in Pastel and then go to File...Backup.

On the next screen, your cursor should default to the C:\Pastel12 folder. Leave it there, and click on the Process button, and follow the prompts.

Once the backup has been done, you will find a zip file in your C:\Pastel12 folder, with the same name as your company folder. Send that zip file to me as an attachment.

If the zip file is too large to send as an attachment, then I suggest that you send it to me via Dropbox.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Neville,

Thanks for your offer.

I will try and see which stockcode(s) are the problem children over the weekend. If I can't find it I will call in the cavalry.

Herman

Email problem
    Thanks

I am experiencing the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by HermanS View Post
    We have about 5000 inventory codes, which have been setup over the years at random by different people. I want to correct mistakes in Groups setup, as well as get consistency in the naming formats.

I have tried to export the master file to a text file, but the file has no data in after the export (both as .txt and .csv)

Any ideas as to why I can not export the file?

Also, is it possible to correct the fields and simply import it back into Pastel?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I have also been trying to export the inventory and it also gives me empty files. No matter what format I try to export it in, it just doesnt work.

Helen

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Helen,

After the advise from Neville, I have made a decision to work through my stocklist and try and find what's going on (in case it happens again). I am picking up minor errors in my stock listing - but I think the culprits are the one's that have no description.

It is a long, nightmarish process - but I am sure I will eventually get it.

Herman