Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home office vs working from the employers office

Suspended
    Thanks
    These calls last minimum 20 min if I'm lucky
    Lol ........ yes if you are lucky.

You do have to ask the question why you are going to work from home. Because by working from home as you have stated you will be benefitting by keeping the same salary etc and by cutting expenses for yourself ! So from the company's point of view it would cost them more if you claim extra expenses ! So you get more and they get less - therefore what is their benefit ?

Thanks
    Hi HR Solutions... why do you say the company would get less? and Why would it cost them more?
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    You said that they currently renting office space for you, so they save allot there, surely more than the 600 you want for running costs at home. If working from home does not affect productivity and is its cheaper for all then its fair.

(Telkom should be considered separate and paid for by the business)

I love working from home and so will you, but please don’t like it too much or you going to need a good divorce lawyer
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

4. Thanks given for this post:

Christel (11-Feb-14)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christel View Post
    Hi HR Solutions... why do you say the company would get less? and Why would it cost them more?
    I meant it would cost them more by you working at home than working at their premises, if you claim extra expenses.

Thanks
    Think of the money you will save on make up alone and the convenience of working comfortably in your slippers!

Seriously, perhaps you can get them to pay for an ADSL contract on your land line if you have one or get them to install one if you don't, this will get you 24/7 internet and free local SA calls (even private calls) that should be fair compensation, +- R700PM.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    [QUOTE=wynn;105207]Think of the money you will save on make up alone and the convenience of working comfortably in your slippers!

Yes... was also thinking about this...definitely a lot of "savings" everywhere.

I'm having the final discussion with them on Thursday.

thanks for all the comments & suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christel View Post
    ...definitely a lot of "savings" everywhere.
    Even if it's a "desk job", there is still the issue of space allocated to the function which doesn't seem to have come up so far...

Looking at broader issues, everyone so far is making light of working from home - but it's not without its challenges.
    For example - Even if you have the personal discipline to separate "work time" from "home time", that doesn't mean that everyone around you (in the home environment) has the same picture in their mind. The potential for "hey, you're available because you're at home" type distractions climbs dramatically.

Thanks
    Hi Dave,
    I know this is not going to be "all fun" but I've been working the past 7 years every school holiday from home to look after the kiddies, so I know what it can be all about...
    We also stay in town now, (till Oct 2013 we stayed just out of town on a farm - me & my husbands' combined fuel exp p/month was R3500, so working from home & fetching kids would not have worked then)... But now I stay right across the road from the high school where my daughter is and my son's primary school is about 5km away (one way). He stays at aftercare (because he loves it) and my daughter walks to and from school. I'm very disciplined and love my work, so I might need to check on myself not to "over work" rather than chasing friends and family away.

Thanks
    Ideally working from home means a dedicated space only for business/work. Once you mix up spaces it’s a cluster f. I operate my business from a flat-office in the yard separate from the house. In it I have a workshop, office, Kitchenette (coffee/tea), bathroom shower, so I don’t need to go into the house. (Obviously lunch time I enjoy my lounge). If your office is in the house then keep it as separate/dedicated as possible.

Obviously it should be equipped in the same manner as a normal office – a productive space.

One upside is being able to work comfortably and work longer hours if need be. Just try and have some sort of general “closing time” (allowing midnight ideas). Otherwise you will naturally start working later and later at night, that’s what I tend to do. That’s one downside, you may work too much and/or fuss about the office unnecessarily, annoying your spouse
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

11. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (26-Feb-14)

Thanks
    This is very interesting i guess your answer lies in your choice of working at home rather than the office. Its your benefit to work at home not the company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast