Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Issuing an IT3(a) from my trust to myself

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Part of the problem is the SARS consultants not only don't know the eFiling system that well, they don't trust it.

And for good reason at times - I've personally seen some of the weirdness that happens in eFiling.

I've got a VAT period from 2010 that shows up in General Unpaid despite it having been paid, and every time I query it (which is now down to twice a year when I get a tax clearance certificate) I'm told it's definitely paid, and that eFiling is a different system that doesn't count, so if you're getting no joy from eFiling support (which I'm not), ignore it.

Then with the debit pull debacle, for the company where I can't use the credit push option, when I file the EMP201 it generates two identical entries in the General Unpaid listing. I've given up trying to use eFiling to report the EFT payment as it only gets rid of one of the duplicates. What seems to work best is to make the payment via EFT with the right PRN, and don't do anything on eFiling. Then both entries magically disappear eventually.

I expect the "unpaid" listings will linger on into eternity much like the VAT one has so far.

It seems there's a main system (which has the info that counts). eFiling, E@syfile et al are relatively independent systems that help format info for import into the main system. But the information only really flows one way; into the main system - they're not fully synced bi-directionally.

To make matters worse, the main system is actually two systems that don't talk too well to each other either - the 2008 and prior system, and the 2009 onwards system. Recently I had a payment made in mid 2009* magically unmatch itself from the return for Feb 2008 - and it's the second time it has happened.

It's not just taxation that's as complicated as heck, it would seem SARS's overall IT systems integration is a bit complicated too.

*I made a minor stuff up of an EMP201 return which only emerged when I did the EMP501 - resulting in a late top-up payment having to be made - with penalties and interest of course.

Thanks
    I expect the "unpaid" listings will linger on into eternity much like the VAT one has so far.
    I had something like this once and when I queried it I was told that I should mark it as "Paid Manually" and it will disappear from the screen. Why they can't do if from their side mystifies me.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Hi Mike & Dave,
    That's right, the "unpaid" list on e-filing does not "pull thru" to the SARS system. This is merely a control for yourself. Just go onto the one that you don't want there, click on manually paid, complete the info - it can be anything as it's just to get rid of the entry, and submit.
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christel View Post
    You just need to wait. Mine took about 3 days to show as activated.
    Shucks, today is the deadline for me to respond to the correspondence from SARS on my personal income tax return, but my trust still cannot issue an IT3(a) because my application for an EMP501 is still awaiting activation by SARS.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Attach a short note in response, explaining the situation, just to buy time?
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I had something like this once and when I queried it I was told that I should mark it as "Paid Manually" and it will disappear from the screen. Why they can't do if from their side mystifies me.
    Be weary of clicking the 'submitted manually' or 'paid manually' or anything manual on their efiling system.
    I had a similar scenario, did what they said and clicked the Done manually thing.
    'Manually' to them means - have sent in different form via a different route and been there in person.
    If you havnt done that, the please explain section gets bigger and bigger and I am still trying to get penalties and interest reversed as a result.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Shucks, today is the deadline for me to respond to the correspondence from SARS on my personal income tax return, but my trust still cannot issue an IT3(a) because my application for an EMP501 is still awaiting activation by SARS.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Attach a short note in response, explaining the situation, just to buy time?
    I think that should buy you some time ... otherwise you will need to go in and see them. If you choose the latter option, I would recommend going to the new Umhlanga branch. There is plenty of free parking - the new office is spacious and modern - and they were most helpful. You can even go onto the website to see what the waiting time is like in "real time" (ie as you are viewing the website).
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    today is the deadline for me to respond
    I am in exactly the same boat.
    I am going to just submit what I have, along with a please explain letter and see what comes out of that.
    Was thinking of going down there to try and sort it out but we are heading for major year end period and I dont think I have enough time left in my life to stand in the q's.

Perhaps we just have to row faster, being in the same boat.

Its time to chuck out this huge tome called tax laws, thats only good for keeping the door open and reduce it to a one page instruction guide. They really should make an effort. Even your local racketeering mobster comes round personally to collect, with no forms, very little fuss, probably even less threats and they will only take what was agreed on which still leaves you enough to profit and live your own life.

Thanks
    At last I am able to issue myself an IT3(a) from my trust on efiling.

I have filled in all the details on the IT3(a) form except for two fields, and I was wondering if someone could help me with the details.

The first field is the source code of the income received. What should I insert there?

The second is the "Reason for Non-amount Deduction of Employees Tax" - I don't know what code to insert here.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    @Neville - I have no idea - On mine I realised, I have been using my business source code, which is not the same as my personal income code. I assume there is a standard code for salary/income/remuneration.
    I would say a reason is that you were unable to determine an exact payment of remuneration until profits had been calculated.

I sent my documents in with a letter from cc. made out by myself that I paid the member R x.xx and that I was unable to obtain an IT3a due to sars having suspended the issue thereof through the efiling system. So created a pdf with a spreadsheet showing numbers per return, with supporting letter and bank certificates and anything else that looked important, and sent that off.

I now have an assessment completion letter and all is good.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    The second is the "Reason for Non-amount Deduction of Employees Tax" - I don't know what code to insert here.
    I assume it still exists; code 6 used to be "Director's Remuneration Taxed In Next Tax Year". Depending on your circumstances, it might not fly though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123