Thread: LED flood light spares

Diamond Member
    Thanks

LED flood light spares

Anyone know where I can buy parts for LED flood lights. Have to replace a 30 watt floodlight, cost R550 to replace. I am sure a transformer and LED part cant be that expensive?

The transformer is still working, it is the yellow square block which is faulty.

What I have noticed with these LED floodlight, is the moisture build up in the front, it is like it needs to have a small hole to breath.

Thanks
    I've never seen the LED SMD chips available at a retail level, only in large numbers for manufacturers. That said I've never tried to source them either so maybe check all the usual suspects such as RS Components, Farnell, communica etc. The drivers are usually a constant current switch mode supply, using a transformer isn't ideal. You can definately get the drivers at wholesalers but the form factor may be a problem, often in a floodlight they're odd shapes and sizes so they can fit them in the back of the light.

My advice would be to just buy a new floodlight complete. You'll spend more in petrol and time than it's worth to get the spares plus if you fix it rather than replace it then it's you who'll be carrying the warranty.....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see Mantech has it listed, but currently no stock. Give them a call. I repair 50W security light LED's.
    Have you checked if the power supply is working? Simply measure the voltage with power applied, should be around 32V.

The failure of the LED cluster is usually due to heat failure, or it could be that the power supply is over driving the cluster. The only way to check is to measure the voltage and current going to the element and multiply the values, and it should not exceed 30Watts.

The LED cluster temperature must never exceed 60 Degrees centigrade..

When replacing, the led cluster ensure the surfaces are clean, and apply silicon paste is used to help the heat transfer.
    Also it is very important that you connect the polarity correctly, incorrect connection damages the led cluster. If you are not sure, use a 1K resistor in series with the DC supply to the LED to test to see which tab is positive, as it is not marked.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

4. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (05-Feb-14), mikilianis (06-Feb-14)

Thanks
    E-Bay, but it takes 2months

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Looks like there could be an opportunity here, at a R1200 to replace a 50 watt LED floodlight I cant see the replacement parts being a fraction of that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A 50Watt LED module is over R500.00, then the labour to replace. It takes about 20 minutes to replace the element, as you have to strip the unit to get to the LED module.The more you do the faster you can do it.
    However you can get 50Watt security lights for less than R900.00 from a number of reputable suppliers, if you are a reseller.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

8. Thanks given for this post:

ians (10-Feb-14)