Thread: How do you get copyright protection for your script?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How do you get copyright protection for your script?

As an introduction to my question I would like to point out that I have been writing fantasy all my life but never got anywhere. Sad thing is various problems including hard drive crashes took away most of my scripts.

Still I got a good few left and was thinking to take the ultimate step of trying to get published. I have been in contact with most publishers but I got the “who the hell are you” look... After all what does a dyslexic armature with no training have to offer that they don’t already sell?

It is true even fantasy is reaching a point of “more of the same” so having a fresh perspective is a bit difficult and for the longest time I gave-up on ever publishing anything.

Thus my question...

How do I protect my scripts? How do I get my grammar and other problems fixed?
    Last edited by tec0; 02-Feb-14 at 08:19 PM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Go speak to a publishing house...that is what they do!

Thanks
    Hi Tec0 - you could try "self-publish" via kindle, as an option. As for corrections of grammar and spelling, you will need a good editor. Not too sure where you would get that kind of person from, nor how much it would cost. Otherwise you need to use a friend who has the ability to make the necessary edits.

I have been told recently that once you use the copywrite symbol on your work, that work is considered "owned" by you and, should the issue come into contention, proof of the date of copywrite will determine the owner. Can't vouch for the validity of what I have heard, but heard it from someone who is presently fighting a copywrite case.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (03-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Hi Tec0 - you could try "self-publish" via kindle, as an option. As for corrections of grammar and spelling, you will need a good editor. Not too sure where you would get that kind of person from, nor how much it would cost. Otherwise you need to use a friend who has the ability to make the necessary edits.

I have been told recently that once you use the copywrite symbol on your work, that work is considered "owned" by you and, should the issue come into contention, proof of the date of copywrite will determine the owner. Can't vouch for the validity of what I have heard, but heard it from someone who is presently fighting a copywrite case.
    Thank you Mike It helps...

My luck with our local Publishing house is less then helpful... They basically placed the phone down in my ear and when I drove up the responsible person was MIA... I since then gave-up. Finding someone willing to read my script "crap" is possibly the biggest problem...

Anyhow I will see what I can find and who is helpful...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Suggestion: Research copyright & its application in SA. A very, very useful - free - gift to you & your descendents.

All it takes is:

(c) 2014, Jan Alleman
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (03-Feb-14)

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Copyright stems from the common law.
    I also suggest trying to publish through one of the ebook mechanisms in the interim and keep knocking on doors.
    Publishers and record producers are always getting scripts, rejection is the name of the game, Im afraid.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

9. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (03-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Actually,

i went to publish a very very informative book in december on Kindle : https://kdp.amazon.com
    I tried selling my book for $15 but got alot of returns. Went below the $10 market and got my sales.
    Some points to ponder: in mexico they will pay 50 USD for a e-book, Britain will go less than 10.

If you are smart; you can re-publish the same e-book for other languages. if you can make sense out of them.

This way, you target english and native othr languages - generating more wealth.

in total i was able to sell about 60 copies in 3 month time span.
    And i though my e-book was actually crap ...