Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Employment Tax Incentive (The Youth Employment Subsidy) questions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Furthermore Pastel Payroll has an extensive list of SIC codes, but not as extensive as the tool at stats SA. So I can't get an exact match.
    I'm finding the same problem with the Intercode software I'm currently setting up - hence my current scratch around the SIC code issue.

What I do know (from the time I was actively involved with AgriSETA) is the SIC codes are (or were) being made more granular and has been added to in a fairly big way over the past 5 years or so. What I don't know with absolute certainty right now is who is in charge of generating them (just who is the authority here?).

I also suspect issues with matching them up across different sources, although I haven't got to closely interrogating that aspect as yet.

When it comes to the limitations of software in this regard, I expect our next step would be to give the software developers feedback on the issue.

Thanks
    Hello,
    I've just returned from a PAYE update course and can report that the SIC codes they are referring to w.r.t. ETI is called the SIC7 codes, and I found it on the SARS website. It is NOT the same as the SDL/SETA SIC codes.

I found a list in the document called: SARS_PAYE_BRS - PAYE Employer Reconciliation_(Including the ETI Requirements)_v12 1 3.doc - Appendix E (From page 68 onwards).
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, the good news is the Stats SA tool I linked to earlier are also the SIC7 codes, and the results do tie up with the SARS document Christel referred to above.

And yes, after testing some samples, the SETA SIC codes don't correlate. Not even close.

Thanks
    Oh dear, most of these abreviations are greek to me and I do not have a payrole either nor any accounting software. I intent to employ/contract a juntior admin girl. Do I have any chance of getting a benefit which can be managed/claimed without all these complicated things?
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    If you are PAYE registered then you could get a benefit...
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    The ETI guide states:

10.2 Income tax
    Any amount of ETI received by an eligible employer under the ETI Act that reduces the employee’s tax payable by that employer is exempt from income tax under section 10(1)(s) of the Income Tax Act.

The Income Tax Act states:

10. Exemptions
    1)There shall be exempt from normal tax--
    the receipts and accruals of the government of the Republic in the national, provincial or local sphere;
    s)any amount by which the employees’ tax as defined in section 1 of the Employment Tax Incentive Act, 2013, payable by an employer as contemplated in section 3 of that Act is reduced in terms of section 2(2) of that Act or paid in terms of section 10 of that Act; [added by the Employment Tax Incentive Act, 2013];

As the ETI claim is referred to as a "receipt" or "accrual", I will classify it as other income. I will also deduct it from taxable income as it is exempt in terms of Section 10.

Thanks
    If you are PAYE registered then you could get a benefit...
    You can only claim ETI if you are registered for PAYE. Refer to ETI guide paragraph 3:

"Section 3 stipulates that an employer is eligible for the ETI if the employer is registered under paragraph 15 of the Fourth Schedule for purposes of withholding and paying over to SARS employees’ tax and is not excluded under section 3(b) or 3(c). Paragraph 15 requires every person who is an employer to apply to the Commissioner for registration in accordance with Chapter 3 of the TA Act."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Oh dear, most of these abreviations are greek to me and I do not have a payrole either nor any accounting software. I intent to employ/contract a juntior admin girl. Do I have any chance of getting a benefit which can be managed/claimed without all these complicated things?
    Yes, you do! You don't need a payroll system or accounting software to claim from the ETI, so the SIC codes referenced in this thread won't be relevant to you if you don't. I have a plain English introductory guide to the ETI that may help.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123