Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB 3 still not ubiquitous

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    irneb > was wondering did you ever got to play with a raspberry pi? Is there an XP only hack for it yet?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    irneb > was wondering did you ever got to play with a raspberry pi? Is there an XP only hack for it yet?
    Sorry, no. I've not gotten the time yet. Actually didn't have much of a December even, never mind much free time for fiddling with a hobby.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    USB 2 ports are still fitted to machines because USB 3 is not backward compatible to USB 1.1

Did you know that full speed USB 3 actually has 9 wires. That is why the plugs are coded in blue. The blue USB A plug has the additional 5 pins imbedded deep in the plug and the USB B plug has a totally different shape to the 1.1 & 2 plug.

4. Thanks given for this post:

irneb (01-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here are some pictures of the types you will find also a bit of technical info on the more common USB 3 connectors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB 3 1.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	4333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB 3 4.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	4336
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB 3 3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	4335 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB 3 2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	4334
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

6. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (01-Feb-14), irneb (01-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Thank you, that at least makes a bit of sense. I can possibly live with that if the "old backwards compatible" USB ports were by default placed in the less accessible positions, and the new "catch most current device connection" USB3 ports were the ones in front as well as the most numerous.

But I'd imagine that these days 1.1 devices are rather rare to find. It would only be stuff like very old USB mice/scanners/printers/etc. I know I had an old Epson scanner which worked on USB 1.1, but since after WinXP you couldn't get it to work on newer OS's in any case. I haven't seen ANY new devises without at least USB2 connection these days, and those you can plug directly into a USB3 port!

So to the manufacturers I'd advise one of 2 scenarios: (1) Install 4x USB3 ports and 1x USB2/1.1 instead of the usual other way round, and place the old port type at the back - again instead of the other way round. Or (2) Omit the UsB2/1.1 entirely from (at least your high-end PC) and sell extra expansion cards containing USB 2/1.1 ports for those few clients who may perhaps still be using 10+ year old devices.

Edit: Actually one where it's an entire no-brainer to omit the USB2's is in NAS boxes. I can simply shake my head and mumble WTF in nearly all of these. I mean, for external connection to a NAS ... what exactly do you think the user is going to plug in there? An old scanner from the 90s? You certain of that? If so come here and let me
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

8. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (01-Feb-14)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.