Thread: Need asistance in obtaining some stats.

Thanks

Need asistance in obtaining some stats.

I am trying to determine the reason we have a crime problem in South Africa & to perhaps find a solution to in.
    Most people are blaming the police saying they don’t do their work, they are not effective & they are involved with the criminals.
    The police reply they are under staffed, they don’t have sufficient training & they don’t have enough equipment to their tasks.
    To try & determine where the problem is I’m looking at the whole criminal process from the time a person is arrested to the time he is released from prison.
    I am trying to gather statistical data on the police, judicial system & the prison system.
    Some of the information may be considered confidential by the above departments but lets see what information we can get.
    To start lets look at the police force.
    I am trying to find statistics for number of cases reported to the sap per annum? (if this can be broken do into different categories even better)
    2) the number or percentage of solved & unsolved cases p.a.?
    3) How many police station’s cells are filled beyond their maximum capacity on a long weekend?
    4)How many police station’s cells & how many times are they filled beyond their maximum capacity in a year?

I haven’t decided exactly what stats we need in the judicial system yet.

Regarding the prison services I have managed to find this news article date 4 march 2013.
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...frica-20130304

According to Sibusiso Ndebele (Minister of correctional services)
    1) Every month, about 23 000 inmates are released, but another 25 000 enter the system
    2) 64 959 offenders are not currently incarcerated, with 48 323 being out on parole, 14 917 being provisionally released and 1 719 awaiting trial
    3) Most prisoners were young black men and 53 000 were youths
    4) There are many 17-year-olds found guilty of serious crimes. They have left school, are illiterate and homeless
    5) It costs (tax payers)R8 000 a month to keep a prisoner in jail.
    So far I have been able to establish that every month there are approximately 2000 prisoners added to the prison compliment & it costs the tax payer R96 000-00 per annum to keep one prisoner detained.
    Minister Sibusiso Ndebele doesn’t give a total amount of prisoners they have in prison at any specific time in this article.

According to a CNN article dated February 21, 2013,
    1) Correctional Services Department spokesman Koos Gerber said according to official figures for 2011 to 2012, there were 158,790 prison inmates in South Africa, a nation of nearly 52 million, of whom about 30% were on remand awaiting trial.
    2) According to Nooshin Erfani-Ghadimi, project coordinator for the Johannesburg-based Wits Justice Project, Overcrowding is a particular problem in remand prisons, where it runs at just over 200%, she said, citing figures from the Department of Correctional Services. Overall, overcrowding in prisons stands at about 133%.
    I haven’t been able to find any sats regarding the length of the prison sentences but lets assume the average length of 50% of the prisoners sentences is above 1 year.
    That would mean the prison services cost the tax payer R1524 3840 000-00
    Every year this is going to be increased by 24 000 prisoners which would mean an extra
    R2 304 000-00 excluding inflation & building more prisons.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find any newer data then this yet.

Regarding the prison services I am still trying to find the following stats:
    1) How many people are illiterate when sent to prison & how many of them are still illiterate when they are released from prison?
    2) How many prisoners have been released from prison & re-arrested within a year?
    3) How many prisoners have been released from prison & re-arrested within a 10 year period?

Thanks
    You will get allot of info on correction services here
    http://www.dcs.gov.za/AboutUs/Statis...formation.aspx

For crime stats http://www.saps.gov.za/statistics/re...rime_stats.htm

I am always a bit sceptical about our crime stats, they are too easy to manipulate for political gain.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

3. Thanks given for this post:

Hermes14 (25-Jan-14)

Thanks
    You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time, eventually their own lies will catch them out.
    We can't always take for granted what we are told.
    Sometimes we have to investigate further ourselves.
    Thanks for the links pmbguy it is a good start.

Thanks
    It’s difficult to get any other statistics on crime in SA other than our official government documents, if you do find private stats it is mostly on a very local level. We can only really draw conclusions as to what extent the official docs are correct or incorrect.

I distrust any official government stats because of their incompetency and sometimes because of corruption and political interference.

We are truly in the Dark.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Just reading what has been written in the media about our leading politicians, it is obvious that incompetency can be mistaken for deception.
    The correctional services website states “INCARCERATION LEVELS AS ON the last day of 2011/02, total population of inmates is 162162”.
    Koos Gerber say between 2011 & 2012 the official figures were 158,790.
    That is a reduction of 3372 prisoners.
    How can Sibusiso Ndebele make a statement that there is an increase of 2000 prisoners every month?
    Even if his statement is figurative, it is still either incorrect or someone’s statistics are incorrect.
    If we try & accuse the Anc as a group of being corrupt we will get nowhere.
    If we take solid information of facts & figures to our ward councilors regarding crime, corruption or what every & tell him to come back with answers we will stand a better chance of fixing the problems we have in this country.