Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maximum overcurrent protection on a plug circuit

Thanks
    Back in the 70's plug circuits were wire with either 4.00mm wire (radial circuit) or 2.5mm wire (ring main), all breakers and fuses were rated 30 amps
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have heard some say that replacing an existing socket outlet is neither an addition nor an alteration and therefore the 30 amp circuit breaker can stay.
    In my opinion it is an alteration and requires the correct 20 amp circuit breaker to be fitted into that circuit.
    What do other think? Do you agree?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I have heard some say that replacing an existing socket outlet is neither an addition nor an alteration and therefore the 30 amp circuit breaker can stay.
    In my opinion it is an alteration and requires the correct 20 amp circuit breaker to be fitted into that circuit.
    What do other think? Do you agree?
    I agree with you

4. Thanks given for this post:

Leecatt (14-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Maybe if it was a single and a double skt was installed but replacing like for like I'd be hard pushed to class it as an alteration or an addition.

On what grounds would you class it as such? I'm open to convincing if you've got a good argument

6. Thanks given for this post:

ians (25-Feb-14)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I would agree that replacing one socket outlet for another of an identical type, should not necessitate a certificate of compliance. However,
    Imagine the circuit was old and had steel pipes.
    The earth wire is Bonded onto the steel pipe and does not travel down the pipe to the socket outlet.
    Now the circuit needs to be upgraded to accommodate the new 16 amp socket outlet.
    Many times i've seen the situation where the steel socket outlet is removed and replaced with a plastic one without addition of a correct earth wire being installed.

Thanks
    There's several separate issues though, whether like for like replacement requires a Coc and whether like for like replacement requires full testing and remedial work if it fails. TBH I'd expect even a DIY'er to plug a socket tester in after a like for like replacement.

I think there's a good arguement that regulation changes should apply retrospactively to older installations, especially with regard to the safety oriented regs. There could be a grace period of maybe five years but I'd at least like to see all domestic premises with RCD protection by now and also conforming to the later earthing and bonding regs.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    \ TBH I'd expect even a DIY'er to plug a socket tester in after a like for like replacement.
    Most of the "electricians" who come to me for a job don't know what a socket tester is
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I would agree that replacing one socket outlet for another of an identical type, should not necessitate a certificate of compliance. However,
    Imagine the circuit was old and had steel pipes.
    The earth wire is Bonded onto the steel pipe and does not travel down the pipe to the socket outlet.
    Now the circuit needs to be upgraded to accommodate the new 16 amp socket outlet.
    Many times i've seen the situation where the steel socket outlet is removed and replaced with a plastic one without addition of a correct earth wire being installed.
    If I recall a while back I started a thread with this issue. I was called out to look at something to find that the 4x2 sso had been replaced with DSO and a 4x4 extension box. The steel piping was used for earthing as was done back in the day. The electricians fitted new plastic DSO with no earth for the entire house.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Blow View Post
    Most of the "electricians" who come to me for a job don't know what a socket tester is

You should try go on a certificate of compliance refresher course if you want to see how bad it really is

Thanks
    Is a COC is necessary if replacing a plug .?? This assuming its done by an electrician. A pvc plug fitted to an old 30 amp system where the box is the earth, you will require an earth wire from the plug to the box. Now the dilemma, some school of thoughts say you must rewire and fit a separate earth wire, as you now cant use the conduit as the earth.
    Some just screw an earth wire with a lug onto the plug box and earth the plug this way. So the plug is now earthed.
    Now do you need a compliance, well if you rewire, i say yes, if you made the earth loop ( if allowed )to the box i say yes, as you have now altered the installation.
    Otherwise just a normal replacement, i cant see why a COC would be necessary. Like if you need new brakes on your car, do you need a road worthy, need a service, do you need a roadworthy.

My 2c worth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast