Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
Hrm... an example of .... lets say your business and lateral marketing
Let's join the dots. I think Chatmaster's example shows lateral marketing very well.
Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
If you look at a Petrol Station today, what do you see. If you look at it years ago, what did you see? How is selling petrol and selling a coffee at wild bean cafe related. Today, most of us expect these services and products at a petrol station. Same way you can associate yourself with something totally unrelated and use it to your marketing benefit.
Originally the purpose of a petrol station was simply to sell petrol. Maybe the shopping experience at the petrol station is so widespread it is assumed nowadays, but when first introduced, the presence of a convenience shop was heavily promoted ahead of the "providor of fuel" message.

The message was going out - shop here for convenience - the goal was to get you to draw your petrol there too.

Here's a question - Just how much is your decision as to where you choose to get your petrol influenced by non-petrol factors?

As example in my case, the presence of a Standard Bank Auto-teller is definitely an influence if I also need to draw cash.
On the long road, I'm influenced by the quality of the coffee and restrooms.

I'm sure you'll have your own examples of things that influence you if you really think about it.