Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biltong Machine

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If the cabinet is heated it would be better to have a fan configured so it mostly circulating the internal air whilst causing a slight through-draught that's constantly pulling a little fresh air inside as well.

Do these cabinets have a filter to clean the air before it comes into the cabinet? Does the meat ever go vrot whilst it's drying?
    I agree with your thoughts about the circulation in a heated cabinet. I think that’s how most of these machines work that you purchase. I have not seen a filter before, but some machines may have them.

Biltong can go vrot in a machine, although this is rare. It mostly happens in the summer when there is high humidity (especially at the coast), combined with not having heat and a weak fan. I think that using way too little spice (salt) may also contribute to ending up with vrot biltong.

If your machine has strong vans with a bit of heat you will be fine. If you have a machine with small fans, but you keep the heat on you will be fine.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    You have me thinking.
    I will make some holes with the laser maybe even cut out Ian's Biltong maker, the dash fonts work well for cutting letters on the laser.
    I will try and remember to bring the sides in next week.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The basic principle of any dryer is that hot air goes up and cold air moves in from the bottom. So you want a fan at the top of the box to help the hot air to move on out. You only need a couple of holes “Small covered with some type of filter that doesn’t restrict airflow” on the bottom. Thus you get a natural slow moving air flow. If you locate the heat source near the bottom you will get a more even heat flow but it doesn't really matter as long as you have a warm air flow "slow it doesn't need to be supper fast"

Remember it is the combination of heat your preservatives and air-flow that makes it work. You can take “Sprinkle” a tiny amount of vinegar to prevent any unwanted growths and will prevent the meat from spoiling. get it into the small crevices especially.

When your fat starts to turn yellow and tiny oil droplets will drop down on the floor-panel that is a sure sign that your heat and airflow is working just fine. One last tip KEEP IT CLEAN.

Keep your dryer out of the sun..... You will do just fine.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Maybe a small UV-C sterilising lamp sitting in the incoming air-flow would be a nice addition to help stop bacteria and vrotting.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Maybe a small UV-C sterilising lamp sitting in the incoming air-flow would be a nice addition to help stop bacteria and vrotting.
    Just remember the heat must be very very mild "if any" airflow is important and with a mild heat source just help the air to move along. It must not be HOT then you will have a disaster...

I never ever tried a UV-C sterilising lamp so if you do try it please give us feedback on it. I "think it will only help things along" but it will be a first in my book.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390126900.058660.jpg 
Views:	2503 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	4288

My biltong dryer, just have to fit the glass panel to the front door.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (19-Jan-14)

Thanks
    Nice Ian!, looks tidy. When will you be making your first batch?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

9. Thanks given for this post:

ians (19-Jan-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was going to get a mix from Dirks in Davenport and some meat, put a piece of tin foil in place of the glass but unfortunately I only finished doing my paperwork and filing late this morning. I worked the whole day yesterday into the night and this morning filing 2013 documents. Tomorrow I have to start real work otherwise I am going to go bankrupt.

I will collect the glass, meat and mix tomorrow and hopefully load the dryer in the evening.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some of the features, a slide out drawer which you wrap tin foil for drips which you can replace

4 leaver switch to control the 3 lights and the fan...so if you don't want lights or the fan you can switch off.

A removable back panel to get to the wiring...pity only when I finished gluing the wires I realised I had to fit earth wires because I used brass lamp holders, so it looks untidy. Next time I will use plastic or porcelain lamp holders.

I only drilled the holes for the vents after I took the pictures they are at the bottom left below the tin foil and there is a gap between door and the shelf for the tin foil

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    it looks well made "unlike my piece of plastic" What was the total cost?
    peace is a state of mind

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast