Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple - Some advice please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

Apple - Some advice please

My Laptop is starting to get old. Quite a large one and heavy to lug around. Also starting to give one or two hassles. I have always believed in trying to "keep up" with technology otherwise you do fall behind and things are not compatible anymore, new printers don't work because of "issues"

So my question is - Do I look at the Mac laptop - I think its the air or the pro or do I go for another HP normal computer ?
    My problem is - I do NOT like the new Windows 8 !

I quite like the Mac's - they are lightweight and quite thin and I have an Apple phone and ipad.

Would it make sense to keep apple or is the Mac not really suited for business.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated - thank you

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I know absolutely nothing about Apple but I love my Acer laptop and my Galaxy Tab. The Acer runs on Windows 7 Pro and although the networking sucks bigtime and Windows broke some common tools for no reason I am still satisfied with the machine. Windows 7 is like having a car that doesn't always want to shift into third...it annoy you but you live with it. If I had to choose between Windows 8 and Apple...I would probably go for Apple...Windows 8 is simply totally crap...its like a car without a dashboard and they put the gearbox in back to front...it just sucks....no matter what you do!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I just find that you are too restricted with apple. If you don't have all apple devices you might as well not have any.

The only reason I got an iphone was because of the Telkom deal and boy am I regretting it, the signal is absolute crap, battles to get signal never mind 3 G and it doesn't get LTE yet even though it works on MTN, but I can get LTE if I change my sim card over to the MTN one. They have only just repaired the sms issues with the new ios software, they gave me 10 free sms per month but you couldn't send or receive an sms because the ios system wouldn't work with Telkom.

I bought an ipad mini because they where the cheapest for what you got. Personally I I doubt I would by any other apple products, unless I was a graphic designer or the like, which I am not.

One thing I can say for iphone, we watched the same movie clip on an iphone and a S4 from the same adsl router, the picture quality on the iphone is way better than the S4, I don't know if the S4 was setup correctly.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I got an iphone 5, then realized what a big mistake i made, you ask why, because i didnt have any other apple devices. I then got an ipad. My opinion, if you have apple devices upgrading to newer models, not a bad idea, but unless you want to go the whole hog and move over to apple, rather dont buy 1 device. They are incompatible with other devices.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way as you there is an app for everything, i dont see why you cant run your business from a mac
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I think we need a bit further info on what you actually want. Are you referring to the MacBook Pro or the Air? Also what programs are you using on your "WinBook" at present? Are you set on OSX as your new operating system, or would you be willing to look at others too (excepting Win8)? The "just-works" idea only happens if you do everything through Apple, if you have a different phone, pad, media server / NAS, etc. you might not find it as easy as you did with Windows.

1. Which programs can you not do without? This to check if they have non-windows versions or clones.
    2. Which programs are you using occasionally and/or might be accepting of alternatives?
    3. Is there any single program you simply "cannot" do without which you know to only work on windows? If so can you provide its recommended system requirements - since you'll need to run it through a virtual machine (such as Parallels / VirtualBox / VMWare) and this would take up some of the base CPU & RAM.
    4. Are you doing a lot of on-line stuff?
    5. Can you achieve your usage through cloud-based programs? E.g. Google+, Drive, Docs, etc.
    6. Are you using the laptop for video viewing? If so do you want to be able to insert DVD/BR discs, or play from a media server, or save onto an internal hard drive, or only via on-line streaming?
    7. Are you doing any graphics intensive stuff? E.g. photoshop, cad, 3d design and/or rendering?
    8. Do you "want" a touch screen or are you fine with a normal keyboard & touch-pad?

Only with these answers (and possibly some others) can we have any hope of giving you a decent suggestion.

If you want to do your own research on the non-Apple laptops, then this might be a good place to start: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/

Especially since your choices at Apple ranges from old stock MacBook (R8500) to the Air (R11k), Pro (R15k), or Pro Retina (R16500). Unless you're thinking of the Mac (all-in-one-screen for R7500), or the mini (i.e. no keyboard or screen - R7500), though both these options don't really conform to being a portable device, never mind a laptop.

So for an Air you can look for anything up to around $1000 (to allow for import / local sales deduct about 30%-40% from that - unfortunately our government wants their protection-racket-money). But that type of price is already quite a good laptop (at least), some of them would even be surpassing the Air's specs. Same goes for the Pro.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    When my current Windows laptop comes to the end of its lifetime, I think that I may migrate to Mac. They are beautifully engineered machines that "just work". My only problem will be that Pastel only runs on Windows. But then I can simply use Parallels on the Mac and install a virtual copy of Windows on that, with Pastel installed there.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    When my current Windows laptop comes to the end of its lifetime, I think that I may migrate to Mac. They are beautifully engineered machines that "just work". My only problem will be that Pastel only runs on Windows. But then I can simply use Parallels on the Mac and install a virtual copy of Windows on that, with Pastel installed there.
    Well, I pulled the trigger last week and got myself the MacBook Pro 13" and I am a happy chappy.

It is fantastic for processing my photographs on Photoshop and Lightroom and I have Pastel running happily on Windows 7 in virtual mode (using Parallels).

The machine is so portable, slim and beautifully engineered - quite sexy!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys. Neville - I seem to recall you bought a Galaxy phone a while back, so for you to say Mac laptop seems to indicate something. You then will have to ditch the Galaxy and get the Iphone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Neville - I seem to recall you bought a Galaxy phone a while back, so for you to say Mac laptop seems to indicate something. You then will have to ditch the Galaxy and get the Iphone
    Mac laptop is one thing - iPhone and iPad (which I have) is another thing. I love my Galaxy because of the Android OS, as I am a GMail guy through and through.

Hmmm, perhaps I should consider the Chrome Book rather?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast