Thread: Telkom adsl

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Telkom adsl

It seems there is a serious problem with Telkom ADSL. I contacted them to report that I had a fault (internet keeps dropping...loosing signal) waited the normal 15-30 minutes for them to answer the call to be told there are major problem and that is why you wait so long for them to answer.

The part that made me laugh, I was instructed to call them when the internet wasn't working...ie the red light on the modem was on. I told the lady that I did just that, but by the time she answered the phone it had changed t green. The only solution is she must record a fault and i must pay a min fee of R250 for a call out fee which could be more depending on how long they take to find the fault.

They did do a line test and whatever other tests and switched off and reset the modem etc and indicated that everything was ok.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've had it that the lines going from pole to pole become corroded where they are screwed into the pole terminals. The service becomes erratic but it is difficult to pinpoint.

Thanks
    I was under the impression that they only charged if the fault was caused by you or your equipment. If it is a fault their side then they don't charge.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Been experiencing that since Wednesday with no phone line till this morning, and now has such bad crackling, that the exchange will not even give a dial tone, because it thinks I am dialing a number.
    The line is so bad that there is no ADSL.
    Happens every time that there is a real down pour, which was the case last week Tuesday night.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I was so happy to finally get my ADSL installed some time back. But from day one I had problems. My internet would work sporadically. My phone line would also not work for days on end. I used to spend hours and hours each week trying to get it sorted. I eventually got so fed up that I cancelled my ADSL along with the landline.

In the new year I plan to reconnect but not through Telkom. I miss the ADSL and I will need the landline. Who is a viable reliable alternative company I can use? Preferably a company that you currently use that you are happy with.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't know what happened to Neotel, I have seen people walking around with desktop phones with an aerial. Apparently the call is cheap but like Telkom mobile, you get what you pay for, really crap reception in central places. What I am still trying to figue out is why my MTN phone gets reception but not the Telkom mobile phone, they use the same towers. IF you travel or move around a lot, stay away for Telkom mobile.

I am told the call out fee will only be charged if the fault is on my side.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been through this "weather dependant connectivity" issue a bit with my home ADSL line. Ultimately persistence has paid off in the end. They kept switching or replacing sections of line until now the service is exactly as it should be.

My suggestions are report a fault whenever it occurs, and report it online at the Telkom website here. No sitting around waiting for a phone to get answered, and frankly they seem to get to the fault faster that way as you're reporting the fault directly into their faults management system.

Thanks
    I have had the on-off-intermittent problem on my home ADSL for over 4-years now, the cable running between the houses has a huge chunk of melted pvc hanging from it, obviously it's been hit by a bolt, I don't phone and just log a fault on-line and when the techy comes I show them the cable. For 4-years I have been logging a fault every 2-3 weeks.

And if you're thinking that Neotel can help, think again. Neotel have excellent coverage in my area so I sent them an e-mail requesting information on what they can offer and a quotation. I received their automated response the next day, but despite phoning and e-mailing them repeatedly since then, I have not heard a thing, it's been 3-months now, Neotel is also just another way of spelling "poor service".

The other alternatives I have explored are Vodacom and MTN, Vodacom's coverage in my area is poor, however, MTN and Vodacom are just way too pricey, soon I'm going to have to start sending smoke signals, it's going to be my only method of communication...
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    report it online at the Telkom website here[/URL]. No sitting around waiting for a phone to get answered, and frankly they seem to get to the fault faster that way as you're reporting the fault directly into their faults management system.
    As I have said before on another thread simply SMS your faulty land line phone number to 30591 and they are on it in minutes.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What a tit, the reason I have been having problem with my ADSL line is because I have a debt order (with a limit) which runs every month and there is an outstanding balance. They have been teasing me by disconnecting the line and then today they shut everything down. No service, no land line, no cellphone, all disconnected. Contacted them paid the outstanding balance while on the phone to their accounts department and bingo 5 minutes later everything is working again. they could have told me this when I called them about the fault. I need to check my telephone account every month