Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Big Questions

Thanks

Two Big Questions

Read an article on a company website called To The Point

They ask people two questions and I would like to have people in forum give some creative answers

1. What drives effort?
    (and productivity and motivation and commitment?)
    2. And what can you do about it?

Thanks
    Interesting

Which may explain why some corporates will pay you whatever you want as long as you "personal turnover" is 3x that amount.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLLuDeano View Post
    Read an article on a company website called To The Point

They ask people two questions and I would like to have people in forum give some creative answers

1. What drives effort?

A Whip!!
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques#1 View Post
    A Whip!!
    I think that sums this thread up pretty well! hahaha, creative indeed. Lets take a serious look at this from a business perspective tho.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iLLuDeano View Post
    1. What drives effort?
    Cocaine
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is no simple answer, it depends on the person and their circumstance. A childless lady building a career is not driven by the same motivations as a mother of 2 toddlers just as a 23 year old man isn't driven by the same passions as a 56 year old. Those are simple differences, then of course you have cultural, social and just "we are what we are" differences.

The trick is to find what is important to each one and to ensure that harness it. I also think that one you employ people who are naturally driven, the kind of people who are able to motivate themselves.

Productivity and reward are not always correlated. Some people are unproductive no matter what you do, maybe they are lazy or stupid or possibly too intelligent and bored. Some people are naturally productive, they get things done because that is just the way that they are. Then there are those who are driven purely by reward. They could be good and they could also be terrible. These guys will make a point of working overtime, whether it is needed or not, they are also prone to bending the rules to make a sale - they could be bad or good, depending on your perspective.

My view remains that one should hire for attitude and aptitude and train for skill. I will rather work with a naturally motivated person who is willing to learn rather than a know-it-all lazy ass expert.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Jacques#1 (02-Dec-13)

Thanks
    People are more motivated when they are given task based work. Break the job down into segments, then they have a specific short term gaol to work towards. Instead of having one big long job with the goal somewhere in the distant future, sapping motivation.

Provide incentives like if they reach goal x they get half the day off at the end of the month, or they get that coffee machine they always crying about.

Reward the top sales person of the month with bonus or day of etc.

Reward the person who takes the least sick days a year.

When there is an insignificant decision to be made e.g. what type of coffee should be bought, put it to a vote.

Management should constantly be in touch with employees. Asking them things like what their opinion is on X and Y. Ask them what their needs are etc etc. When employees feel that management is interested in what they have to say it makes them more motivated because they feel like they are part of the “business team”. Often employees have the best ideas, but this will never come to light if there is not good communication between them and management.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I started out working for free for a very long time and based on what I know is that no boss is alike. You get the good boss but alcohol gets the better of them. You get the bad boss stealing from clients and you get the don’t care boss business goes the way of the dodo.

Loyalty is the one thing you cannot buy. If your workers doesn’t respect you or care for the company then you as the boss need to change their minds. Secondly it comes down to the job.

When I was still a cleaner “and no it’s not that bad” My boss would talk to us about how to handle the worst jobs breaking them down into steps explaining what each chemical does. He made it interesting and cleaning became an art. His gift a very positive attitude. Sadly cleaners don’t get paid that well so it is a stepping stone job. But here is the thing he was so cool about it he would encourage you to study and be something better. Was a good man.

My second worst boss “server administrator” was a dick. He claimed perfection only for himself and the rest of us were nothing “expendable” even our pay wasn’t on time because he was that important. He would scream at us all day and drink all night and in the end his business went the way of the dodo.
    I had about 30 jobs in total ranging from the worst to the best to self-employed

My worst boss was me! Yea no one can drive you harder then you yourself. You will kill yourself to make it and trying to keep it. It is something I wouldn’t recommend your health becomes your toy and your success your addiction.

My advice "motivate yourself" if you need anyone for that you lost the plot.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    My worst boss was me! Yea no one can drive you harder then you yourself. You will kill yourself to make it and trying to keep it. It is something I wouldn’t recommend your health becomes your toy and your success your addiction.

My advice "motivate yourself" if you need anyone for that you lost the plot.
    Amen to that!
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (03-Dec-13)

Suspended
    Thanks
    We have two salary structures for our consultants. The first is a lower salary with high percentage com and the second a higher basic with lower com percentage. Different ppl want and are driven by different structures.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast