Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting kills...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    So why does this stupid guy not get electrocuted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut5DXxK1dvk
    You get crazy and you get stupid crazy. If you check the last bit of that video his finger was so close to become the shortest path between those two thick wires and with the amount of AMP they were playing with... He wouldn’t have done anymore thinking for a good long time. BUT he got lucky... I wouldn’t do that... I got my own Tesla coil that I play with but nope I wouldn’t do that...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I heard that its not the amount of voltage that kills you but that its the amount of Amps that will determine how dangerous the shock is. Is this true?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This is also interesting to think about; the guys that do live HV line maintenance. They wear suits that are essentially faraday cages capable of carrying the current. The guy inside is ok because the current flows around him. He gets picked up off the ground by a helicopter and a long insulated cable which insure that the helicopter doesn't get electrocuted. I suspect that when is picked up and lowered to the ground he would have to dangle a cable hitting the ground so as to dissipate the charge to ground so that is cage has the same potential as the ground.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    No, its not necessarily true. Possibly for 12V - 220V but 200,000V low amps will cook you like a microwave and 12V 100amp will stop your heart and blow all your circuits.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Think about connecting a 300mA 100V transformer to a 12V radio. The radio ain't going to work anymore .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    You get crazy and you get stupid crazy. If you check the last bit of that video his finger was so close to become the shortest path between those two thick wires and with the amount of AMP they were playing with... He wouldn’t have done anymore thinking for a good long time. BUT he got lucky... I wouldn’t do that... I got my own Tesla coil that I play with but nope I wouldn’t do that...
    It's not a big deal at all. He is using an isolation transformer. It means that the transformer is not referenced to ground. That is exactly the type of transformer used in your swimming pool light. You have 220V coming into the primary side on the transformer and 12V coming out the secondary side. Lets say your light gets messed up and the wires are exposed in the pool nothing happens to you. If they secondary side of the transformer was referenced to ground you would get cooked. Because the transformer is not referenced to ground you get 12V floating about in the water that doesn't do too much harm. Remember that water is a good conductor and that the electrical energy now dissipates through the water.

A isolation transformer can be thought of in the following abstract way. You are sitting on earth and the earth is travelling at 64,000kmh relative to the sun. You now get in your car and travel at 100kmh. The speed difference relative to the sun (common electrical earth in this case is massive at 64,100kmh but you are measuring your speed relative to the earth (lets call it unreferenced electrical earth) and you are travelling at 100kmh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    First and foremost “I am not expert” Secondly I stand to be corrected otherwise I will probably get someone screaming about details again. So I start with the facts here

The Fatal Current

Strange as it may seem, most fatal electric shocks happen to people who should know better. Here are some electro-medical facts that should make you think twice before taking that last chance.
    It's The Current That Kills

Offhand it would seem that a shock of 10,000 volts would be more deadly than 100 volts. But this is not so! Individuals have been electrocuted by appliances using ordinary house currents of 110 volts and by electrical apparatus in industry using as little as 42 volts direct current. The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amperes) forced though the body, and not the voltage. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current.

While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal. Currents above 200 milliamps (0.2 amp), while producing severe burns and unconsciousness, do not usually cause death if the victim is given immediate attention. Resuscitation, consisting of artificial respiration, will usually revive the victim.

From a practical viewpoint, after a person is knocked out by an electrical shock it is impossible to tell how much current has passed through the vital organs of his body. Artificial respiration must be applied immediately if breathing has stopped.

The Physiological Effects of Electric Shock

The chart shows the physiological effects of various currents. Note that voltage is not a consideration. Although it takes voltage to make current flow, the amount of shock-current will vary, depending on the body resistance between the points of contact.

fatal current
    It is also fact that if you have a weak heart that the effects might be worse for you.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Now I didn't know half of this...
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is scary stuff...
    peace is a state of mind

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Here is a question, lets say you were to get very close to a 32KV line (you do not touch the line), would the electricity to induced on your body by the ionisation of the air around the cable or static electricity or simply by the magnetic field. There is a line that runs close to Grand West and I often pass by it. The sound that comes off the line, I suppose due to the ionization is very noticeable. I wonder what sort of effect the general electrical and magnetic discharge from those line have on animals.
    I had a callout a few years back on an electric fence (yes, the fence was erected by an idiot). Anyway, they had an alarm. So the first thing you do is disconnect the HT cables and bridge out the energiser terminals to determine if its an earth fault or a continuity fault. I switched off the energiser and it still smacked me. I quickly carried on connecting with the constant coltage on the line (used to getting choked I guess). I checked the voltage on the line and it was around 1300V. After walking through this unknown 1.5km fence around a complex, I noticed that it had NO earth spikes, and an overhead line running parralel straight over about a 500m section of the fence. If there was spikes, I wouldnt feel the voltage, but the emf had no where else to go except constantly through the wires.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast