Hi Folks

I submitted my tax return via eFiling. After doing so, the system indicated that I owe SARS around R4600. I then phoned the call centre to query this, and it turned out that I had made a mistake on my return - I included my retirement annuity only on my IRP5, whereas I should've captured it next to code 4006 under the "Deductions" section as well.

As per the call centre's instructons, I requested a correction on my IT12, I captured the RA amount and I resubmitted. After this second submission, the system indicated that SARS owed me +- R4800. SARS then requested supporting documentation, which I submitted. A week so later, I received a letter stating that everything is in order, and that my assessment has not been modified - and then SARS paid just under R200 into my account.

I phoned the call centre twice thereafter - the agent that I spoke to initially told me that my return was modified, even though I received communications stated otherwise. After double-checking the correspondence that I received (i.e. the letter stating that my assessment wasn't modified), I phoned them again and requested that they provide some form of documentation which indicates why I was paid a lesser amount. They then provided me with a Statement of Account, which shows three transactions for 2013 - my original assessment, claiming that I owe then R4600, my reduced assessment, claiming that they owe me R4800 - and a payment of the balance of R4600 - R4800 (R200). This finally shed some light on the matter.

Is this correct though? Shouldn't the correction (i.e. the second assessment) "override" the first assessment? I cannot understand why both assessments are taken into account for my refund. I expected a payment of the full amount on the corrected return.

Can someone please clarify this? Is my understanding incorrect?

Thanks,
Riaan