Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death penalty, why not?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I think that the perpetrator should be handed over to the community for them to sort out. If they choose to apply the death penalty then that's great....
    Like this?

35-year-old rape suspect stoned to death

Thanks
    I would like to shed some light on the subject by looking at how many countries worldwide still have the death penalty. Here is a list (It may be incomplete)

• Afghanistan
    • Bahamas†
    • Bangladesh
    • Belarus
    • Botswana
    • China
    • Cuba†
    • Egypt
    • Guatemala†
    • India
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Japan
    • North Korea
    • South Korea†
    • Lebanon
    • Malaysia
    • Pakistan
    • Russia†
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Somalia
    • Suriname†
    • Syria
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan†
    • Tonga†
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States
    • Vietnam
    • Yemen

It is clear from reading this list that these countries are mostly 3rd world countries, with the exception of a few. Some of these countries will in the not so far future abolish the death penalty. There has been a worldwide trend against capital punishment in the last 50years or so.

The US is the last great western democracy that still uses the death penalty. 32 US states use it and 18 have abolished it. In 2012 a total of only 43 inmates were executed.

Searching the internet I have found very little support for the death penalty. I have also found very little evidence that supports the notion that the death penalty reduces violent crime.
    “In Canada, for example, around three murders were committed per every 100,000 people before the death penalty was abolished in 1976, while after that the rate consistently went down reaching 1.85 homicides per 100,000".
    http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~lampe...ent%20edit.htm

A large amount of murders in SA are directly the result of crime. Whereas in many other countries (especially first world) many murders that occur are crimes of passion, not directly related to crime per se as the motive. In SA we obviously also have many murders due to "crimes of passion" but we have far more crime related murders. I believe that evidence found in other countries that the death penalty does not deter crime, does not really apply to SA. I feel that the death penalty would certainly change the mindset of criminals, in that they would think twice before actually pulling the trigger. We may not get a massive decrease in crime, but we would definitely see a decrease in the number of violent crimes that lead to murder.

Naturally my biggest concern is that some people may be innocently executed. This risk may be reduced by having very strict criteria relating to specific kinds of evidence needed to deliver a verdict in favour of execution. But even then innocent people will get executed. Perhaps it is one of those things where the means justify the ends.

I think that it is wrong to kill, but if killing a few people leads to many more people not being killed, then I feel it morally justifiable.

I think that rapists and child molesters should be castrated by the local vet. I say vet because they deserve to be treated like the animals they are.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I would love to see the return of the "Public Guillotine" or "Public Hanging", there would be no greater deterrent to a criminal than to watch as someone's head rolls into a basket, or to watch as a "Friend" swings and chokes at the end of a rope. This should be for any and all violent crimes. But we would need a justice system that works, not the current circus we have. With the current justice system, I would be against a death penalty, it would simply give the cANCer an eradication outlet.
    Be careful what you wish for. Beheading is not the death penalty you would want. There other things connected to this type of execution that will have a serious domino effect. See the sociological aspect of this execution is profound so much so that it started a rebellion and effectively rewrote history. Overpowering someone with this type of fear will be effective to stop horrible crime to a degree BUT it can also spark other side effects such criminals going all out...

I recommend the needle, it is fast and you don’t have to clean up and face things like blood born diseases. Also the psychological aspect is far worse than that of beheading.

See beheading is a bloody mess and blood triggers testosterone, aggression and anger “like you see in chickens” In shot they go crazy and in humans the same happens and you get anarchy. The needle gives an image of absolute powerlessness and psychologically pacifying the criminal mind thus they will “fear it more”

sociologically people will be more passive...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    So you actually run around with no head ......

Absolutely crap ..... The human body does not react like a chicen !

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    So you actually run around with no head ......

Absolutely crap ..... The human body does not react like a chicen !
    Well I could search for the video on Youtube where the sniper took out a human with a large sniper rifle. The bottom half of his body was still running when the top half was missing but you don’t watch videos so it will be a waste of time.

But you know everything so the hell with it hey. I really wish you would just pi$$ off.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    this execution is profound so much so that it started a rebellion and effectively rewrote history.
    I can only assume that you are referring to the French revolution. The guillotine started a rebellion?....LOL. The guillotine was used extensively during the French revolution and became one of its symbols. BUT by no stretch of the imagination can anybody say that it started the rebellion/revolution.

I can just imagine your “reasoning” here. Flashes of the Revolution Flashes of the Guillotine Blood Blood Guillotine Revolution........Conclusion: The French revolution was caused by the guillotine....guillotine causes rebellion...guillotine bad, where is my bong?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I can only assume that you are referring to the French revolution. The guillotine started a rebellion?....LOL. The guillotine was used extensively during the French revolution and became one of its symbols. BUT by no stretch of the imagination can anybody say that it started the rebellion/revolution.

I can just imagine your “reasoning” here. Flashes of the Revolution Flashes of the Guillotine Blood Blood Guillotine Revolution........Conclusion: The French revolution was caused by the guillotine....guillotine causes rebellion...guillotine bad, where is my bong?
    Really ok let me post this here then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

The Committee of Public Safety came under the control of Maximilien Robespierre, a lawyer, and the Jacobins unleashed the Reign of Terror (1793–1794). According to archival records, at least 16,594 people died under the guillotine or otherwise after accusations of counter-revolutionary activities.[72] A number of historians note that as many as 40,000 accused prisoners may have been summarily executed without trial or died awaiting trial.[72][73]

On 2 June 1793, Paris sections — encouraged by the enragés ("enraged ones") Jacques Roux and Jacques Hébert – took over the Convention, calling for administrative and political purges, a low fixed price for bread, and a limitation of the electoral franchise to sans-culottes alone.[74] With the backing of the National Guard, they managed to persuade the Convention to arrest 31 Girondin leaders, including Jacques Pierre Brissot. Following these arrests, the Jacobins gained control of the Committee of Public Safety on 10 June, installing the revolutionary dictatorship.[75]

On 13 July, the assassination of Jean-Paul Marat — a Jacobin leader and journalist known for his bloodthirsty rhetoric — by Charlotte Corday, a Girondin, resulted in further increase of Jacobin political influence. Georges Danton, the leader of the August 1792 uprising against the King, undermined by several political reversals, was removed from the Committee and Robespierre, "the Incorruptible", became its most influential member as it moved to take radical measures against the Revolution's domestic and foreign enemies.[75]

Meanwhile, on 24 June, the Convention adopted the first republican constitution of France, variously referred to as the French Constitution of 1793 or Constitution of the Year I. It was progressive and radical in several respects, in particular by establishing universal male suffrage. It was ratified by public referendum, but normal legal processes were suspended before it could take effect.[76]
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    pmbguy I cannot believe to what extend you would backstab someone to impress your friends. But this is the last time you get to backstab me.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    LOL

Your copy & paste shows how the guillotine was used by the revolutionaries against people they viewed as being a threat to the revolution. The guillotine did not start the revolution, not even close. So how do you view your post (copy & paste) as evidence that the guillotine started the revolution when it clearly shows how it was used by the revolutionaries? Nowhere does your post, or any history book, mention that the guillotine started the French revolution.

It’s a failure of logic and knowledge/understanding on your part

The guillotine was used extensively as an “effect” of the revolution, not as a cause of the revolution. Stated differently: The revolution started first then the guillotine was used by the revolutionaries to excess.

Thanks
    You use the term “backstabbing” for any post that challenges your argument.

So according to your understanding of “backstabbing” I present another knife.

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Well I could search for the video on Youtube where the sniper took out a human with a large sniper rifle. The bottom half of his body was still running when the top half was missing
    Without a head you may get a few steps, BUT without a spinal cord (Top half of the body) the legs aint going nowhere. This kind of stuff only happens in movies

I don’t mean to be mean Tec, but I can’t ignore your propensity for talking nonsense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast