Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEO and CMS

Email problem
    Thanks

Exclamation SEO and CMS

How serious do you, as a business owner, take your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and CMS (Content Management Solutions)? I worked as an expert abroad for a few years (in between getting my trade license), working on the Google.co.uk and Google.com servers; and I've had a look at the state here, and not many businesses are doing what they can to get on the front page of Google.co.za for keywords?

I am thinking of hanging up my electrician boots (Outsource the work), and have opened a Web Vitality branch in South Africa, as it is my true passion, but am struggling to get clients (Even though the methods I was taught abroad far outrank those implemented by companies in SA). An example of my work is the plumbing / electrical websites I have created (link in signature), and they are the 2 most optimized sites in SA for certain key phrases. I will eat my hat if you can show me otherwise (The only reason they aren't on the front page yet is the domain name is under 3 months old, and Google doesn't allow these to compete in order to stop spam tactics that take advantage of the crawlers. My claim can be verified if you run the sites through Moz.com).

Could anyone please suggest clients I could approach for this? The type of clients I worked with in the UK were mostly online shops, but the market isn't as big here in regards to that. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Email problem
    Thanks
    Sorry, I misspelled the domain name in my signature; the websites are ...
    Last edited by Dave A; 19-Nov-13 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Hi TheElectrician (or should I say TheSEO). Look I know nothing about interwebber related issues, but I do have some good advice for you. Perhaps you should make a list of large business that have a poor ranking, a long list. Study the client business in detail. Then don’t just send them emails, rather try make appointments and sell yourself face to face. I would suggest doing this after at least one successful job to show them what you can do for them. Be over prepared for each appointment, wow them with not only your skills but with how much you know about them And their competition. Compare their ranking with that of their competition, and how their competition benefits by this etc.

Hope this helps

Good luck
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

4. Thanks given for this post:

TheElectrician (19-Nov-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi pmb guy;

Haha hopefully TheSEO soon, but not without clients :/ I have an extensive portfolio of businesses I managed on search engines abroad, but half the kicker is you won't be able to see them in SA; as Google tries to show you things most relevant to your location to better assist you. Which in all honesty is fair enough, it just makes small things like this a tad difficult. I do however have testimonies on my website, so I would hope they come into play? I have also thought about the direct approach, but I am 23 with a trade license, and South Africa has this weird stigma about not taking young business owners (Esp those with no master degrees etc) that seriously? I have had a few people give similar accounts, but that is a story for another day. I will however rethink this, and stop putting obstacles in my way and just crack on, but if I could ask you one last question, your response would be greatly appreciated:

What businesses do you contact that you have found directly from Google? That way I can look at low ranking ones and try your approach on them. Just a bit of market research before I start Also a cheeky one, but I see you are self employed too? I would love to do a competitor analysis for you if you think you could benefit?

Kyle

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheElectrician View Post
    Sorry, I misspelled the domain name in my signature; the websites are ...
    Then edit your signature, The SEO Man

7. Thanks given for this post:

Email problem
    Thanks
    Already have ; I just didn't know if it would display on old posts when I said that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And there I was wondering if you were trying to get the links into the content area.
    Silly me

Anyhow - all's well that ends well.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Email problem
    Thanks
    Haha nothing wrong with a decent little link in a comments area, preferably with a little bit of anchor text and the odd Social media share... However, I do play fair :P

Thanks
    What businesses do you contact that you have found directly from Google? That way I can look at low ranking ones and try your approach on them.
    Can’t think of any, I usually use a business that has been referred to me by a friend or client.

You missing the point slightly. Take time and google. See which big businesses don’t have good rankings...and follow my advice as given above.

Don’t worry about age, I was about 24 when I approached business in my direct marketing efforts for my business. Age is relative to everything else.

Just a bit of market research before I start Also a cheeky one, but I see you are self employed too? I would love to do a competitor analysis for you if you think you could benefit?
    I don’t have a website, but I am thinking of having something next year. If you would like to do a competitor analysis for me, given the fact that I don’t have a website, then please do. How can I say no?...and thank you for the offer.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I don’t have a website,
    What!
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast